Tuesday, November 14, 2006

New clothes for the emperor

On a couple of recent occassions out on the town, I looked around and realized that I'd forgotten how to approach women, or chat them up even. Not that I was ever profilic in this regard. I was indeed a member of the breezers club [I think floating was the vocabulary used where I came from], and even then would be literally lost for words in the company of attractive women.

Apart from providing the courage to approach someone, alcohol also generally provides one with lots of stuff to say. Killing 2 tricky birds with one stone. And I did experiment a little before realizing that some things aren't for everyone. I remember once in campus after a couple of drinks [pushkins] we headed off to box, and a number of chics' rooms. One in particular asked me sometime afterwards if I remembered what I'd been telling her that night. All I remember is that I was happy and she was laughing. Yes. In that order. I wish I could remember what I went on about. Probably the kind of stuff I could never come up with while sober. It's amazing what can happen when one is without inhibition. So, now that I'm sober and have been out of the game for quite a while, the only thing I can come up with is "can I buy you a drink?" And even in the scenarios where this is appropriate or gets a positive response, that's it. I'm done.

There's hope though. It's like riding a bike. The more you practise, the better you get. Well, I guess in that sense it's like a lot of other things. What a guy needs is to get back into the thick of things. Get Kamikaze to provide a few lines. Start on a clean slate. Not exactly sure where to start. Was it aJamaa who mentioned that in SA guys approach women even in supermarkets. It was probably someone else. Anyway, where there's a will, there's a number

13 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

I say just be yourself Samborera..or do you prefer Sam?

Tuesday, November 14, 2006 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger mama shady said...

wooo!you go out there and get em'!
you seem to have a lot to say when you blog...hmmmm, but i guess thats easier for you!ebu be eaze!maybe its the places you meet them that give you tension.or your focus on ummm, playing the game....

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 12:22:00 AM  
Blogger mama shady said...

sorry, im back. i read a bit of another post.you were sick?!pole. but the part i read also talked about maternity leave...hmmmm.perhaps i should go back and re-read

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 1:06:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

princess - Be myself. Hmmmmm. I guess that could also work. And I have no particular preferences as far as names are concerned. Whatever sounds better to you will work for me.

ma shady - My posts aren't that long, but I'm definitely more relaxed in the blogosphere. I had some surgery like a month ago. I'm mostly back to normal now, thanks. I was away from work for so long I might as well have been on maternity leave.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Girl next door said...

One of the things most women find endearing is a guy who can just talk to them without sounding like he memorized some lines. Things like "you look familiar, I've seen you before" should never be used unless you can come up with a specific time or place where you saw them. Otherwise, not all of us women are scary. We get nervous too about chatting up guys. Alcohol always makes it easier for everyone to get social.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 8:59:00 AM  
Blogger Princess said...

girl next door..you are so hilarious..your comment about alcohol breaking the ice had me rolling on the floor..well almost..haha!! Lakini c'est vrai!!

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 9:53:00 AM  
Blogger Komi said...

Be yourself and don't try too hard.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:09:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I once walked up to a woman I'd noticed and told her simply how gorgeous she was. Took me a number of days to muster up the courage. I didn't get slapped so I guess she took it well. The only trouble with being myself is that I typically don't have that much interesting stuff to say.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 2:16:00 PM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

There are somethings that a guy will never get over. One is falling for all the talk about Liverpool being title contenders at the beginning of every month. Another is a guy getting a bit nervous before approaching a chik or having nothing interesting to say after you start talking. Its just the way things are and probably will always be and from where I am sitted (at a window gazing at the streets of Kampala)you have not been doing too badly and I have evidence of this
there is this chik and this other one not to mention this one

This in my books looks like a time of great discontent

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 3:59:00 PM  
Blogger Girl next door said...

@Princess,
=)One of my buddies would talk about alcohol being a social lubricant. It's like when you go to a bash, there's a difference in the beginning when everyone is still warming up and just talking to their friends, but after a few drinks people start to mingle more freely.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 12:18:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

ajamaa - So that's why you're a mteja, being in another country and all. And here I was thinking you'd been mugged or something [there goes my paranoia again].

Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:32:00 AM  
Blogger egm said...

Samborera, I can relate totally. Especially for one who doesn't shika kanywaji at all! I seem to have more vibe when typing than when actually talking. I need to do some transference of sorts.

Friday, November 17, 2006 1:18:00 AM  
Blogger Girl next door said...

If you can't think of something to say, ask the other person a question. Then you get them to talk about themselves (which most people love doing!).

Friday, November 17, 2006 5:39:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home