Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Something got to give

In the past I have made half-hearted attempts at reducing my drinking, motivated by excessive expenditure on alcohol or doing and saying really embarassing stuff while under the influence (only when I was closer to twenty than thirty). However, now I have a new motivation. My body and mind just cant take the punishment that comes with drinking anymore.

In the past two Fridays I have been out at pubs, enjoyed the company of some jamaas, drunk between 7-9 pynts (I loose count after the fourth beer) and gotten home at around 4 a.m. On 20th I attended a house party where I had a beer in my hand between 4 pm and 4 am. The aftermath of each of these drinking sprees has been horrendous. In each case I have spent the following Saturday lying on a couch trying to watch movies. All my past hangover cures have failed me - taking a cold shower, cold coke, panadols, lying really still and listening to my heart beat. The problem is aggravated by the fact that I have problems sleeping during the day. This past weekend was even worse, even after waking up at 11 am I still could not focus enough to read Supa strikas. Things were so thick that I could still feel the effects on Sunday.

It is not reasonable for me to waste a whole Sato because of spending a 5 - 8 hours at a pub on Friday night. Something has to give, and I have decided those 2 or 3 additional beers have to go. So the next time I am in a pub (pray it is not this Friday) I will make a fair attempt at taking no more than 5 beers.

A few weeks ago one of my workmates asked me a really hard question, "When is the last time you went more than a week without drinking?" After giving it a lot of thought I told him it was in March 2005. What I failed to mention was that I was at home with a broken leg at the time and the only reason I was not drinking was that I had finished my brandy the week before.

I put the same question to you, "When was the last time you went more than a week without a drink". Be honest.

5 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

Everything in moderation is my motto. Sounds like you had a hangover from hell!!

Thursday, November 02, 2006 2:49:00 AM  
Blogger Komi said...

Last week, the one before that etc...I dont drink ha. I don't even go out to clubs!! But I echo princess on the moderation. All the best.

Thursday, November 02, 2006 10:05:00 AM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

Little achievement;

i have been to Club Soundd twice this week.

First day i asked for Mango Juice

Second day i asked for Krest

Lets see if i can make it through this Friday.

Some other things you can do;
Go to a movie at 8.30 p.m, you still would have spent it drinking right? By the time you get out its almost 11 so you will have saved yourself 2-3 beers. I do that myself.

Just don't take one more beer!

How are you though? You have dissed

Friday, November 03, 2006 3:48:00 PM  
Blogger Klara said...

I can say since Dec last year!Bt that time it was allowed, bt I got my act this year & stuck to my new year resolutions which included quittin drinkin!!An I made it so can u....
Bt I really feel u sometimes it's hard to slow down.
Thanks alot!For hittin @ mine blog!!
Cheers!!

Monday, November 06, 2006 1:16:00 PM  
Blogger Sue said...

Wah! I think we sailin in the same boat here. I tried so hard to quit...lakini I sared coz now its only hopeless...I comfort myself that it's euphoria that'll go away after some time...wen you're older. I cant remember when I dint go drinkin at least twice a week. But..I believe that if you weren't born with it..you can definetely get out of it..Take heart brother.thanks for checkin at mine

Tuesday, November 07, 2006 2:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home