Monday, December 04, 2006

Getting a life a.k.a Living dangerously

I had promised myself to stop quoting aJamaa, correctly or otherwise, but there's a reason he was [is] referred to as 'brilliant'.

Something he said recently really made an impression. Now, I've been told countless times to 'get a life'. Probably because I've always been the epitome of cautiousness and conservatism. [There's a time I blamed my early childhood for this, but I'll be turning 27 in a couple of weeks and somehow that excuse doesn't quite have the same weight as it used to] I'm also a no-frills person. I don't have a fancy mobile phone, don't wear designer [in fashion?] outfits, eat at fancy places or generally do much 'fun' stuff. I like safe and familiar. New stuff is scary.

The result is that I've spent most of my life watching others live. [For a long time I actually felt like I was in a movie] The other reason for this state of mind was an uncertainty of what I'm here for. I also tend[ed] to get bored rather easily. Once I know I can do something, there's little enthusiasm left for it. Especially if it's something other people harp about. So I sit, and watch. My apparent tendency to think too much holding me in place.

Getting older has brought clarity to many things, and realities closer home. I still find myself struggling to do what seems to come naturally to most other people. To live. I feel, though, like I'm at a turning point. As I do every other week.

5 Comments:

Blogger Girl next door said...

I'm all for living dangerously (within certain limits). Caution is very useful coz it helps you avoid tricky situations. But sometimes we're forced to take risks. I'm a pretty routine person too. It's safe and predictable. But an adrenalin rush now and then can do the body good=)

Monday, December 04, 2006 10:07:00 AM  
Blogger mama shady said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:41:00 AM  
Blogger mama shady said...

that depends on what youre definition of living is dont you think?things that make me feel like im living can be random;watching kids, overcoming challenges,going on ma-adventures,dancing, loving God or when i cheka mpaka...ya!so you fill life to the brim with whatever youre passionate about...at that moment in time!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:44:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. S,
Very deep stuff u hve there today. OK, now that u've put it all out there for everyone to see that u're not so young, I'll quit calling u 'young man'. Happy now?? (You're actually ancient come to think of it :-))

I also like the familiar stuff. However the repurcusions of that are: when u do sthg crazy u tend to go overboard and everyone looks at u like !!!????$$$. Is that true for you or is that only my situation?

By the way I like your description of me so far, 'a bubbly, happy spirit, who likes the sound of "Mr. S".

Let's see where time takes us.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 5:35:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

girl next door - It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one who does routine. And change is normally invigorating, yes.

ma shady - The problem for me probably is that I have no definition of my own, but what you say resonates with me.

renisa - Oh. renisa. What will I do with you. Ok. It's 10pm and I can't think much now. I never did hide my age or anything.

I do fear doing something crazy, but I've been assured that I can't be really really crazy. The closest thing I can remember is stopping a gorgeous woman on the street. Nowhere near overboard I think.

Not sure about us going places, seeing as you're mostly still anonymous.

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 10:41:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home