Monday, December 04, 2006

A smile across the room

Sato night. I give Kamikaze a call. He's at the Verandah. Still. We were meant to meet up earlier in the day but I was working. My body was telling me to go home but my mind wanted to experience something other than work or home. It prevailed.

I check into the pub and see Kamikaze, 0.5 and one of the resident doctors. They're looking all relaxed and happy, seated at a table with like 10 women. I want to run away. My mind isn't prepared. I reluctantly join them. I'm surprised there's space to sit, given it's an end month weekend. We sit, talk, catch up.

I don't fail to notice the number of striking women all around. I still get amazed. One in particular was seated at a table across ours. And she kept looking in our direction. Not glancing. Kamikaze looks at me, I look at him. Ala? I'm terrible with names and faces, but this one I would not have forgotten.

On a couple of occassions as I was looking around the place, our eyes meet. She smiles. I smile back. She holds the gaze. I start to blush. I look away. There was a time when I would have walked up to her and said something. Now I just looked down and drew circles with my feet. At some point she was pointing, as she talked to one of the guys seated with her. Probably pointing out the shy guy at the corner.

We finally upped to leave. Passed by her table to find out what the intrigue was about. "You're leaving?". "Yes. Would you like me to stay?". She replies in the affirmative. I look at her, then at the guy she's with. My mind is looking for a response. Looking really hard. It only manages to come up with my favourite excuse. Fatigue. Plus I'm working on Sunday. From early. Besides, I console myself, I don't like being a third wheel. Or is it a third leg. "I thought so", she goes. I've become too predictable. I mumble something to the effect that we could meet each other some other time, some place. We both know this will likely never happen.

4 Comments:

Blogger mama shady said...

aaah!ive chekad. so a bashful young man hides within!ati drawing circles!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:30:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Yes, I'd not drawn circles in a whle. I thought it was already out there that I'm rather bashful. Depends on who I'm around though.

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. S,
How did I miss this post? Can't believe it. Absolutely hilarious :-)

U'v totally just made my Saturday evening.

At this rate, my dear Mr. S u'll end up a single, lonely old man with lots of regrets on wasted moments :-( unless.....Hey! I have an idea, lets be each other's backups!!

Saturday, December 09, 2006 6:07:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

renisa - So we're are in the same time zone. Hmmm. That's the first thing you've given away about yourself.

About ending up single, lonely, old and with lots of what-ifs, I think I'm already there. So. Onto this backups thing. I know I may need one, or several, but why would you? Just in case though, if you wake up one day and get that feeling, you can always give me a call.

Sunday, December 10, 2006 3:36:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home