Friday, December 01, 2006

It's in the accent

So I was chatting on the phone with my newest acquaintance the other day. At some point we both started talking swa. I can remember one time in campus when I had to vibe/katia/tune a chic in swa. Or more accurately the Kenyan version. Those were interesting times, and it was a bit tough I must say. But interesting. I grew up speaking swa, but at some point we started talking English, even at home. And a lot of small kids these days are amazingly fluent in English.

Now, she has a kind of deep voice, which has definite allure to it. But then I also noticed the accent. Or the way she spoke. Like a coasterian. [I hear it being called costa rica these days]. I'm not sure what it is about people from that part of the country or how they speak, but it's really refreshing. And the stereotypes of women from the coast playing on my mind only made for more excitement.

For what it's worth, I don't think she's from the coast. Apparently she'd been studying in the land of the Baganda for a while. [And she says she's not too impressed by Kenyan guys. I didn't ask too many questions] It's probably a good thing that she's fluent in swa cause her SMSs are cryptic. I have to literally read between the lines [read guess] to try and figure out what she's saying. Like poetry in high school. And it's the same for majority of chics in Generation X that I've met. [I can't believe I'm experiencing the generation gap we used to here or talk about when we were younger]

4 Comments:

Blogger mama shady said...

and so it begins!picture what youll be saying in like 10yrs time...!
anyway, as for swa woes, some of us the whole family just sucked at it!so yani it was either english or mother tongue.now this cryptic thing...ai!lakini let me not say anything before i find out that ive been giving out cryptic vibes also!

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 2:17:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Ok. Some extracts from a text I got yesterday.

"Wsup dude n why hv u shh at much?". That I understood. Although she keeps calling me dude. Do people do that anymore?

"Now I knw why u gt 2 bd early n pash a whole wkend." What does pash mean?

Tuesday, December 05, 2006 7:20:00 AM  
Blogger mama shady said...

men!either that chic just cant spell dont know!at least thats whats im gathering.i use dude quite a lot but its usually refers to a specific someone.
so for now...you endelea pashing huko:)

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:32:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Pashing is what I do!

Wednesday, December 06, 2006 2:15:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home