Friday, November 17, 2006

Apply, OK

Some people insist on clicking on the Apply button first then the OK button where both exist on the same dialog box. I'm not sure if this is borne out of fear, lack of knowledge or as a reflex. My understanding is that the Apply button is used for, well, applying changes made immediately, while leaving the dialog box open to allow one to make additional changes. If no such changes are to be made, clicking OK to accept the changes and close the window will suffice. Using both is like clicking on a save button twice. One can never be too sure. All this assumes of course that the application follows the principle of least surprise.

It makes me think of when we [people] do things because that's what other people do [rather than out of a personal rationalisation of the same]. Monkey see, monkey do. [and I'm not using the phrase in a derogatory manner so perhaps it's also like safety in numbers]

I remember one lecture in campus when I decided that the lecturer was saying a lot of crap and stopped writing the notes he was dictating. It think it was Operating Systems III. The guy talked about semaphores the whole semester. Anyway. I had some history with him but on this particular day I couldn't take it anymore. At some point, I stopped writing and opened up a book I had on the subject matter. We were a small class and he noticed [or was just looking out for me]. I figured I wasn't bothering anyone, wasn't sleeping and was reading a recommended text. He on the other hand was spoiling for a fight. He interupted the lecture and advised me that if he wasn't the author of the book, I should close it. I looked at him in disbelief. He quickly added that I had 2 minutes to do so. I don't particularly like ultimatums, so I remained as I was. I was going to use up all the 2 mins. So we sat. The rest of the class looking on. After some silence and staring back and forth, I closed the book. He proceeded with the lecture but I still didn't write. The guy was simply telling lies and I refused to write them down in the name of notes. Not that I was feeling a bright student but this is the same guy who told us to take down some c++ code he wrote on the board for a computer graphics class. The only problem with the c++ code was that it was Java. Later, when he was told his code couldn't compile in the c++ compiler, he suggested that we reinstall the compiler, or include stdio.h. What a waste.

I got a bit emotional there. Anyhow. I probably need to figure out more stuff for myself and not simply do as they say [do]. Take ownership as aJamaa would say. [and he was accusing me of wrongly attributing stuff to him]

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Samborera:

Now that's a side of your personality I never saw coming... Hmm. Interesting. But, I've so been there. I've been kicked out of class a couple of times in my day.

Anyway, was just passing by to see if you survived the operation. Glad to see you did.

Rombo

Friday, November 17, 2006 11:57:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Rombo - I did survive the operation. The surgeon actually told me I refused to breathe on my own after the operation was over. So. Anyway. Thanks. And I do have my moments...

Friday, November 17, 2006 7:35:00 PM  
Blogger Komi said...

I would have loved to see the look on your lecturers face when you decided to utilize the two minutes ha. Funny, I was thinking about a conversation I had with a pal last week. Turns out I mind a lot what people say and I should learn to do as I realy feel. The problem with that conclusion was that I had just refused to do as the said pal had told me to and thus the outburst!

The woes of programming! Also had a C++ lecturer who had no idea where he was coming from or going and ended up confusing the entire class. The Java dude was too sharp though I still can't write code of a certain sequential program that I 'passed'. Will try and figure it when the feeling strikes, if ever.

Saturday, November 18, 2006 12:01:00 PM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

There you go putting words in my mouth again. Its my bosses who keep talking of 'taking ownership'. Personally I do not make such statements. At this rate I may be in a position where if you told me you had a white bucket I may doubt the truth of that statement.

Tuesday, November 21, 2006 8:07:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home