Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Doing an active thing

In my next life I want to be a carpenter, a mason, a weaver or a sculptor basically an active job where at the end of the day a jamaa can have something to show for his labour. My current job is composed mainly of two activities. Talking to people and typing. I talk to people who tell me many good stories and then sit and type those stories for someone else to read. I am sure the person who is supposed to read them doesn't really do it coz they would have died of boredom by now.

Unlike a mason who can pass outside a building he helped put up and feel some level of satisfaction from seeing the fruits of his labour, I never have anything to show at the end of a long day of talking and typing. Sure I have churned out a few documents, sent a few e-mails and spoken to a few people in the course of the day. But none of the stuff I do really matters, if it did it would be tangible or create something new.

5 Comments:

Blogger Komi said...

Ha! You can still do those things in this life. May be as a part time thing?

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 5:31:00 PM  
Blogger Princess said...

I agree with komi...it is never too late to embark on new things.

Wednesday, November 15, 2006 10:00:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I was talking with my fourth year campus project supervisor yesterday and he was saying support work [which is what I do despite having a job title of 'developer'] is not the kind of thing I went to campus for. Made me think. I empathise with you.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 7:39:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel you ajamaa. I have always admired pple who actually see the results of thier work at the end of the day. You forgot to mention architects, painters and shopkeepers.
A shopkeeper can actually see physical evidence for his days work -, his shelves will be empty and more cash in his till.
So my next job, I will be a shopkeeper. Buy and sell stuff. Unlike you ajamaa, I wont wait for my next life.

Thursday, November 16, 2006 11:00:00 AM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

I had that feeling for a long time. Yes i see i have been working but most of the time i haven't been. Gotsa get me something to do actively.

Friday, November 17, 2006 2:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home