Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Long service awards

I was talking to one mkebe the other day [the other day being a period in the past which I can remember, and email qualifying as talking], and he happened to mention that he's still at the same place he was at all those years ago. I was surprised somewhat. He must be the owner of that place by now, I thought. Or something.

I seem to have a two year threshold. Recently reached that point again. Definitely can't do that thing our folks did. Work one place for 20 years. Not sure if it's simply the boredom and apathy that sets in after getting into a routine, or the organisational stuff that creeps up and stiffles you.

So I wouldn't feature in these awards. I quit my ideal job already. Not sure what's left once you do that. Mkebe would be right up there, but there's only one winner. Still going strong virtually a full 5 years on. Good for you.

3 Comments:

Blogger aJamaa said...

I will also complete five years at the same place in August this year. I am surprised you forgot it considering I bitch about all the time nowadays

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 7:38:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Who do you think I was talking about; the winner.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 10:10:00 PM  
Blogger matejivu said...

if you are doing 5 years in a place, the employer is either too good, or you are so settled or you are slow.
I have never known mkebe to move around that often.
The first place i worked, they revise salaries every year with + 5 to 10%. after five years, i would be making 40k or half of that. I have made some coins by simply hopping from employer to the next. Done 6 so far. you would think no-one is interested in me. Experience has taught me otherwise.

Thursday, March 13, 2008 7:50:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home