Saturday, March 29, 2008

Firsts

I used a credit card today. For the first time [hence the post title]. I'm one of those paranoid guys about non-cash. Cash gives me a certain peace of mind, as opposed to a cheque for example. Or that direct debit business. Sure, it's more convenient and stuff, but for a guy in the technology industry [wait. Don't think I'm in that one anymore], I'm pretty resistant to change. Some change anyway.

Like most firsts, I was filled with apprehension. I got the card like 5 months ago [mostly because it's hard to say NO to a woman. I hope she hit her target]. I knew then that I'd probably never use it, perhaps unless I needed to get admitted to hospital as an emergency or something. Probably never use it. So I got the card and promptly stashed it into my wallet. It'd never seen the light of day. Not sure what made me change my mind today about unleashing it. Oh yeah. I've been wanting to test it, so that if and when I do need to use it to get admitted, I don't discover then that it doesn't work.

So as I gave the cashier the card, all manner of things were going through my mind. Do these things get flagged as 'dormant' or something. Will it be authorised [I've heard stories]. Will he think I'm a criminal from the way I'm behaving, dry mouth, avoiding eye contact, trembling hands. To my surprise, the thing worked. He gave me a receipt to sign anyway and I did walk away with some stuff so I guess it worked. I'll check the DB on Monday to see what went on there. Paranoia on drugs.

I got a strange urge after that episode to step into the shop next door and buy some hush puppies. Either a new-thing high a credit card high. Didn't go through with that. Although I may still get a pair at some point. Did some more shopping, just to make sure the first time wasn't a fluke. Bought all sorts of things "for the house". I think they'll get put to some use. I hope.

Later as I was heading down some street, I saw a sign. Salon and executive barber. I've never known what that executive meant [in addition to expensive of course], but I'm not thinking straight right now. So I walk in. I feel a bit odd an out of place but resist the urge to run out. I was struck by the sheer number of towels these guys must go through. Goodness! My turn comes and I get my hair cut. Nothing new there. Then I'm told to go over there, where there's a seat under a basin. They could obviously tell I'm not used to this kind of thing. I would have been happy at that point to go pay and walk out. But No. I have to get my head washed. And shampooed [I think. They washed it twice]. Then, go on over there. What now. Aha. Massage. Sure. I knew that. All along I'm resisting the urge to burst out laughing. In the end, I've been there for just about an hour total. That doesn't make sense, to have a hair cut for one hour. But I guess I'm looking hot or something. Not sure how to else to justify this kind of thing. I should probably call someone [female] up. Cost me 250. That's almost 4 times what my regular barber charges. Anything for a new experience.

Oh yeah. Thought of another one. Got an sms from 0.5 the other day at about midnight. He was at the office. Couldn't help but burst out laughing that time. It was like he knew I was also seated at my desk. How did he know. Left the office at about 2:30am. Not a first that, but it's been a while.

2 Comments:

Blogger mama shady said...

;) I've laughed.I wonder if all guys think about that when they first go to these exclusive hair joints. Never used a credit card , still struggling to come to terms with the number of times I use a debit card. All this technology is bound to go wrong somewhere. Plus I'm paranoid about the whole identity fraud thing.

Friday, April 11, 2008 11:30:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I thought credit cards were ubiquitous in other parts of the globe.

Saturday, April 12, 2008 12:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home