Thursday, January 19, 2006

Resistance to change

I was walking to work today morning, brandishing a diskette. I started thinking that anyone looking at me must have thought I was as mad as a hatter. Well, truth be told, he wouldn't be too far off the mark. However, in this age where people fancy using CDs, I was feeling rather smug that I was coming to the office to copy something onto my diskette. The Philospha and I are the only people I know who own a diskette at our office.

I like the concept of a diskette, and especially that small is beautiful. I detest and loathe this era of huge bloated apps which just have fancy graphics and little functionality that people actually use. You get a faster PC only to get applications that use up all that new found speed. Absolutely detestable! This is why anyone worth his salt will probably admit that notepad is one of the best programs ever. Consider that MSFT still ship it, and there are no "new improved" versions.

4 Comments:

Blogger 0.5 said...

Oh but there are new improved versions.

On Windows 2000, you can do Ctrl + S. Not possible on Windows NT.
There is also the Time/Date under the Edit menu (believe me, I have just discovered that now). I think that's new.

See? Improved versions.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:10:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Same graphical interface and a lack of the the numerous and spurious new "features" that improved versions of software typically boast of.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 9:31:00 AM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

The biggest problem I have with diskettes is reliability. Its a write once read once device. And for some strange reason when you use a diskette on Windows NT/2000 after using it on 98 (at a cyber of course) you get an error message that it is not formatted. Personally I believe in flush disks. My employer got one for me in 2003, and it has never given me any problems even after washing it in a shirt.

As for notepad it is beautiful application, simple fast and dependable until you try to open a large file and then it hangs.

Thursday, January 19, 2006 12:39:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I have resisted buying a flash disk for the better part of 2 years. Inicially the cost was unjustifiable, given that I don't work from home, ergo don't copy stuff to and fro that often. I resorted to the lovely cd-rw when I need to transport stuff, and the cd-r when I come across stuff I want to keep permanently.

As philosopha points out, many an individual have been disappointed copying something onto a flash disk and not seeing it on the next machine you move to.

Kigz is of the opinion that you should just get an mp3 player mara one, and use it to for the occasional move. I'll likely get one as soon as I get another job

Thursday, January 19, 2006 5:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home