Monday, May 21, 2007

The marking scheme

ngrrrrr. that's my ringtone. hi (lets use MJ for matejivu) MJ, we are calling you for an interview at our offices at *****. Sorry? a tweng and psh! Nothing. Don want to look too slow so i hang up. someone inhouse can confirm and tell me in queens english.
I had just attended an internal management interview a month ago. Had a mwakenya on the questions and samborera helps me cram the script over a bottle of soda. i went so smooth that anyone would have offered me the job. 2 wks later and an external guy has passd his 2nd interview for the same job. I am pssd off, but MJ dont take things personal. i told myself. This is where i learnt of a 'marking scheme'
1. Education 20%
2. Certifications/Experience 10%
3. An achievement 10%( you get the whole ten if you are a nobel peace price winner)
4. Allegiances and other factors 30% - Lakeside or the Mountains? you get 0 0r 30 depending on which side you are on.
5. Other bullshit 30 %. Those stupid questions from old school managers which have no use at work.

I was banking on the first 2 questions so i failed terribly. I have put the whole past behind me. I am moving on.

So this is supposed to be a technical one. The marking sheme must be different. It's now time to
read from page 1 to 100 of technical manuals and only get to anwer 2 questions.

First i have to fill a form. addresses,previous employers,next of kin? i can even put 0.5. I am not dying soon and if so, i won't have any money.
5 interviewers 2 of them ladies. The first question is not in memory. It's called a cache miss in comps. i struggle through. My best were the HR questions: What inspires you?( i have no idea),
what do you do during your leisure time? do you have any weaknesses?( i quickly say my management skills since this is a teki job)

Shock on me 2 minutes later when i am told it was a management position ( i have just screwed myself). The marking scheme must have been in use.

3 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

Darn!!!

Sunday, May 27, 2007 8:25:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I guess it says a lot that they offered you the [second] job, despite the apparent screwing that went on. Congrats again.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 7:48:00 AM  
Blogger matejivu said...

Now comes the part. You have to resign. Your boss betrays his shock by the grimace on his face. This guy giggles and chuckles to look as if unmoved. That was quite well.
He starts calling my friends and asking "Would you happen to know where MJ is Going or why he's leaving". Ok they'd already vowed to silence.
Some voice inside me tells me i have made a hurried decision, but i have to pretend all is well and serve my noticve period with feigned joy. Ooops, there's an exit interview coming.

Tuesday, June 12, 2007 10:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home