Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Phonetics and Phonology

Monday, 7:00 PM
There is a national-hurrrraaaaaaaaay! holiday the following day so I am just about to enter a bar to do what I do best. One Eric is paying me back a towering 1000 bob. I am liking the thought.

Nothing of note happens.

Kamikaze has already arrived. It is 11:00 PM and it is still too early. To Veranda. We check in and some women are already checking us out. Is this a great country or what?
A coin starts spinning on the table and heads says that Kamikaze is making the first move. Another guy arrives before any move can be made.

The coin spins again. I and another fellow are to make two parallel moves on two women sitting together. I freeze. Kamikaze takes potshots at me and the booze takes over.
How is this for an opener:
I: You are f*g intimidating you know that? But I figured, you can't swallow me whole, ....only in bits, so I took my chances.
She smiled. A boy still has it.
She: Oh, I am not intimidating.
I: Really, I have just used next year's reserve of courage to walk up here.
That smile again.
She: Approaching me should not be so hard. Whats the most scary thing you have ever done?
I: Ran away with a 30 year old woman when I was in Form 3 (not true, never done that) ....
And so on and so forth.

I convinced them to join our table. I tend to run out of ideas once the initial madness has passed. The boys did not waste any time.
When these two come over, another lady comes (from the company that was checking us out earlier) and buzzes in my ear: "its just not fair".
Out of the blues, the issue of campus came about. Alas the two ladies are students at the University of Nairobi, where one Kamikaze enrolled for a course in "Phonetics and Phonology".

Kamikaze's mastery of the strange subject matter is just amazing. They sat, in rapt attention as musical nuances to speaking were explained. Then people started kissing. Ahhhhhh?

I still have the number.

5:00 AM. Everyone departed home. Our silent friends were left with the women.

1 Comments:

Blogger aJamaa said...

I agree it is not fair. This kind of things only happen when am not around. Anyway there is no better way to spend a Monday evening.

Thursday, December 14, 2006 8:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home