Tuesday, September 26, 2006

It takes two?

So I get an sms on Sunday evening. From a number rather than a name. This is a classic symptom of a [recently] deleted number. It's a Celtel number so it can only be one person. Hi stranger... Apparently I've been quiet.

Half an hour later, I get a call from another number. These are the tricky ones. I pick up the phone and try to concentrate on the voice. Why haven't you checked up on me.... At least I managed to make out who it was, but for the life of me couldn't remember her name. In my defence, I rarely remember much these days. It was her birthday recently and she'd like a gift. At least she said that in a joking manner [or I took it as such].

It seems my retention rate for phone numbers isn't very good. I was a bit surprised to learn on Saturday that I'm not the only one who goes through the purge ritual. Apparently depending on your phone, there's an additional message counter that you have to erase. I'm not buying a new phone.

I always have good intentions whenever I ask for someone's number, but being the one who's always smsing or calling takes a toll on me. There was a time once when I had the energy and endurance for this. Back in college there was this chic I used to like hanging out with. Many years later when we were in fourth year in campus [college and campus are different things in this country], I called her up on her birthday [I had just acquired/been handed down a mobile phone]. I knew her birthday off-head! But it was always that kind of 'relationship'. Me being the bugger-boo. So I finally deleted her number and moved on. She sent me a text earlier this year with the usual 'you've been quiet' line. I had to look her number up in my backup phonebook [going cold turkey is hard] to find out who this was.

Basically I can't manage being the one who's always making contact. I'm not the most witty guy anyway, so I run out of interesting and exciting things to say pretty fast. One-way streets aren't the thing for me. And I don't ask for much. Just one sms a month or something.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home