Wednesday, May 03, 2006

It's been a while

It's been a while since I did anything remotely insane.

So I leave the office yesterday, as usual running out when the clock strikes 5. Am I the only one who has a reminder on Outlook to "Go home!"? There's a company bus that ferrys guys to town but I alight mid way and catch a mat home. There are other people who do something similar, who live in the same direction as I do. As I'm walking to the bus stop with a pal of mine, we get to chatting with some 2 lovely ladies who've also just gotten off the bus. Walking with a chic magnet has its benefits. Invariably, these fly, young women are in customer service. That must be the criteria they were using to hire. [I'm waiting for 0.5's post on the same]

Anyway. Introductions are done followed by the usual chitchat about the weekend and how I spotted one of them at Psys on saturday. At the stage there's the usual scrum to get into mats and one of my new acquaintances and I get a mat with space, but not seated adjacent to each other. It's a bit of an anticlimax not being able to talk to her on the way home. We finally get to her stop. She makes to alight. This is it. This is also my stop. Who knew. She's a bit surprised that I'm getting off at the same place she is. She's never seen me in the neighbourhood. Well, I don't live in her neighbourhood. My stop was way way back. "I just had to get your number". I've not seen that look in ages. Utter and complete shock. She immediately told me to stop with the mind games. What mind games. I don't do mind games.

After a couple of metres and her insistence that I was in that part of the world to see someone else, she composed herself and offered her email address. Some time back, I would have taken that and ran. Not today. Not with her. Not with that smile. It's all or nothing. I don't take rejection that personally anymore and have generally become more pragmatic about things. It's ok if she doesn't give out her number to any and all guys who ask, but ask I had to. I may not get another chance. After some hesitation, she created an entry for herself in my phone book.

In the end, we got talking. For quite a while actually. I'd intended on passing by 0.5's place seeing as I was in his neighbourhood, but I got carried away. I was shaking with excitement. Literally. As I always do. If she asked, I could always blame the cold. It's been a while since I had such a big smile on my face. Since I felt excitement run in my veins.

7 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

I think the girl was totally flattered that you got off at HER stop just to get her number. I would be!! LOL @ you shaking with exitement

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 4:51:00 PM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

Well in. I can appreciate how exciting it feels to meet someone new. I have been eagerly awaiting for you to chat up one of those customer care women. What is the use of working in a telecom company if you dont?

Wednesday, May 03, 2006 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger Stunuh Jay said...

Talking about 0.5's can we have some vital stats?

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:08:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

KG - I'd do the same for you... The shaking is real. When I get really excited, I can hardly talk, teeth chattering and all.

D - Thanks for the consolation. For the record, I also have one for "Go for lunch!". I've been known to forget.

Having chics in customer care, sales, marketing works. And male strippers are just so wrong.

I'm actually a shy guy but I suffer from temporary insanity sometimes. Some bipolar thing going on there. Not to worry though, I'm not hooking up. Talking of hook ups, you and Joe niaje?

The pointie is single. I think. There's this chic he's had hot dates with. I don't know how that counts.

aJamaa - And they recently hired loads of people [read fly, young women] in customer care. It's a pity I won't get to know more of them.

stunuh - Vital stats? Can the real 0.5 please stand up.

Thursday, May 04, 2006 10:33:00 AM  
Blogger Bee said...

@0.5 you left out the part about the vital statistics used when hiring women in customer service!!!!

Thursday, May 04, 2006 1:41:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Ati get in there? When you put it like that...

You and wyclef seemed to have some real electricity going on. Either that or it was the green in my eyes making me see my own things. Do I have a chance of seeing the colour of your ngothas? [That sounds so wrong]

Apparently 0.5 isn't a pointie in the half caste sense. My bad.

Whats stats are these people are taking about.

Friday, May 05, 2006 3:41:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Ati "get in there" doesn't mean exactly that. Oh well. I still like the idea.

I haven't used the term half caste since I was a kid. Either there are fewer pointies these days or we got used to them. And PCness hasn't fikad this part of the world.

Last time I checked a no comment isn't a 'NO' so I'm not letting go of the idea. [Is this what you call fisiness]

Wednesday, May 10, 2006 12:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home