Thursday, September 21, 2006

Femalespeak?

I'm not a newspaper guy. When I was a kid it used to be my duty to buy all the dailies for my dad. I'd sometimes have to walk a distance to get them, and sometimes have to interrupt my playing to do this chore. I think I've just discovered why I don't like the papers.

So when I have one infront of me, and have to look at it out of boredom, duty or to escape the raunchy scene showing on the telly, I turn it over, and look at the sports pages. I'll then make my way to the front page. I only recently started looking at the obituaries. That and 'matangazo ya vifo' of radio used to scare the hell out of me. I move forward to the classifieds to see the newest way of getting your massage parlour at the top of the beauty services list. Then I'm done. If it's a Saturday Nation, I pull out the mag and give away the paper. For this I try to read any articles with interesting headings. One that has interesting [read annoying] headings is the Femalespeak column.

The writer seems hell bent on making me mad. Every single article. I think she just tries too hard. aJamaa has very good advise if you find yourself trying too hard. The most recent rant from her was about how it's the dumb blonde type chics who bag all the good men. Bag? I don't know what to say, but I just hope women-folk treat her advise like one would the House of Yahweh.

It's not easy finding someone you can have a conversation with. And not stereotypically about politics and world affairs. I think aJamaa met someone with whom he could have a discussion about Samurai Jack. You should see the guy telling it himself. I've heard many guys lament how difficult it is to find such a chic.
And it is [or is this another urban legend, like the 'there are no good men' one]. Beauty does count, but since this is in the eyes of the beholder, odds are there'll always be someone who'll find you attractive. The blogosphere is awash with chics I fancy having conversations with. [And I'm in denial about people not beeing entirely truthful on the web] In the real world though, things are slightly different.

4 Comments:

Blogger 0.5 said...

That Femalespeak was created as a complement, (or counter) to Mantalk by Oyunga Pala.

I read it for shock effect. The strip does not have a particular author. Its egregiousness depends on the writer. On occassion, my mind goes #Ding! So that's why chics do that?

I fascinated by writers who rile me. Another one who has me gritting my teeth is Adhiambo Odera (Sunday Nation Buzz). She flogs our local celebrities mercilessly, putting a claim to celebrity status itself from the tone of her articles. Yet these people she gives such harsh dressdowns are real actors, singers or sportsmen. There are people who can write really good articles, meaning they are talented. In my estimation, she misses that definition by a mile.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:22:00 PM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

I do not like Female speak either, but my issue with it is that who ever writes it is not a very good writer. I can get away with writing badly because I do not do it for a living. Whoever writes has no excuse.

I do not agree with what Pala writes, but I do like the way he writes.

Thursday, September 21, 2006 3:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mr. S,
I totally agree with you, (about honesty on the web)..I think it's because the web provides relative anonymity which I believe we would all like-especially when revealing details about oneself.

Case in point: yourself and your fellow bloggers..or else you would all be using your real names, right?

Thursday, September 21, 2006 4:32:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

0.5 - If chics actually take her advise, we would be sunk. I don't read Buzz, mainly because I don't understand it. Same for pulse. I think there was another rant on this blog about these mags. And the guys who comment on football, who you can clearly tell have no clue. Like the guy who puts 'ski' at the end of every other word.

aJamaa - Of course she's not a good writer. I accepted and moved on from that. I keep getting amazed every week at how she can conjure up something more silly to write about.

Renisa - This Mr. S thing could catch on. Sounds like the kind of thing people would call each other when they're alone together. OK. Moving along. The pseudo-anonymity on the web is not a bad thing. Besides, we all know each other here, so when I write stuff about my escapades with married women, everyone knows it's me. It seems we have quite a few anonymous guys who pass by here.

Friday, September 22, 2006 7:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home