Friday, September 15, 2006

Moving out

Last Friday, I came home to a conversation among my elder sisters and my mum. At some point, the topic of my bro [and to a slightly lesser extent myself] moving out. It's the kind of thing I'd heard and seen before. Anyway. I won't go into complicated domestic details. I tried to point out that this phenomenon was a growing trend, but that was quickly and sternly rebuffed.

At the end of it though, I did consider their proposition. The only reasons I've heard for moving out are 'independence', 'responsibility' and the like. None of that has ever resonated with me. I did get something more tangible and I could relate to. Add to that the feeling that you are being chased away and I got thinking. Ironically, when I mentioned the prospect of looking for a house later that evening, the reaction I got had a tinge of reluctance on their part.

Even more dramatically, my bro moved out over the weekend. No prompting or prodding. He wasn't even aware of the previous night's conversation. I'm not sure if I'll survive on my own [read cook]. Perhaps aJamaa will give me some survival tips when he gets back. I've tried to console myself with the notion that I'd rather pay rent to my folks rather than to some other guy. I may not be moving out next month, or next year, but I'm definitely closer to it than I was a week ago.

3 Comments:

Blogger aJamaa said...

You bro was my inspiration. If he has moved out then I am also that much closer to moving out. As for the cooking, my experience has been that when a guy has to do it he will learn how to do it. Think of it this way, there are people all over the world who cook, which implies its intrinsically human and since I am not special I can also cook. The only problem is that I will never come to like it.

I have been playing around with the idea of moving in. This is different from moving out in that I will still live at home, but I will also have another place where I can hang out. Kind of like the way things were in campo, sleep in the halls all week and then go home over the weekend. But since I procastinate, this will probably not happen, besides I am broke jamaa as it is I do not need to start financing rent too.

Friday, September 15, 2006 5:24:00 PM  
Blogger Princess said...

There is nothing like having your own place to come home to. Eventually you will learn how to cook.

Monday, September 18, 2006 9:51:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Isn't it depressing being all by your lonesome. Not that I talk a lot when I'm at home, but at least there are people there.

Wednesday, September 20, 2006 7:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home