Friday, September 22, 2006

Do you drive performance?

I have never filled a job performance appraisal. Until now. Somehow, I'd managed to escape it, mainly by working for small[er], techie companies. Who cares about appraisals when you have code to write, and bugs to fix.

After like 10 reminders from my boss, I finally jotted something down. Filling forms is a pretty arduous task but I find appraisals even more so. The concept of blowing ones trumpet is one that I've struggled my whole life with. But your pay increases/bonus/job depends on it. I also have a tendency to focus on why something is working/not working. This means that I may know a solution B and a workaround C, but I'll still be obsessed about findinng out the nature of a problem A. The outcome of this is little to show for lots of toiling at the desk, and in a results driven world, this can be hazardous. I enjoy research kind of stuff because nobody can pin you down to 'have a solution by next week'. Trying to remember/document stuff you did 3 months ago is equally challenging. If you asked me what I did yesterday, I'd have a hard time telling you. Someone in HR has to be convinced though that you actually do something.

I guess it's just one of those things that a guy has to do. I know it could be worse. I could be filling out timesheets.

4 Comments:

Blogger 0.5 said...

The only time we fill timesheets is when we work weekends or overtime, which is rare enough, thank God for such mercies.

As for appraisals, we fill them quarterly. The damn thing is over 8 pages long. Then there is a review where you sit with your manager. Evidence of work done has to be documented and urls to the docs provided.

We have process auditors and trainee engineers hovering around asking what it is that we do. A hard question, just like 'tell me about yourself' or 'what are your weak/strong points?'. The next interviewer who asks me that question will meet silence for an answer.

Friday, September 22, 2006 9:19:00 AM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

Hey Sam, so quiet. My phone still works btw!!!

I hate interviews because i hate telling people what i am worth. They cannot fathom it not in a few minutes of the so called interviews. So! Perfomance Appraisals, of course i will blow trumpet, it seems too much for anyone apart from the dumbasses who do nothing .

Monday, September 25, 2006 6:22:00 PM  
Blogger Princess said...

Working at a civil litigation law firm means that we have to account for every second of our time because we not only have to bill the clients, but we also have to meet a set amount of billable hours per month..talk about pressure. So all of us..attorneys and support staff have to do timesheets in order to get paid and if you fail to meet your billable hours you will receive a warning and possibly end up jobless. I hate the performance review forms..but like you said..the better the review, the better the bonus.

@Shiroh...I used to hate interviewing because I was shy and had a hard time tooting my own horn, but I learned the hard way. the legal arena is so competitive so you have to seriously blow your competition out the water by all means necessary to get a job...so now I can talk about my attributes and why I could be an asset to a law firm with no problem.

Monday, September 25, 2006 7:26:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

shiroh - It's been a while. I still check you out [your blog that is]. Everyone stopped blogging at some point, myself included. Tutaongea kando.

princess - so you are one of those tough talking female lawyers we see on legal shows.

Tuesday, September 26, 2006 7:06:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home