Saturday, March 29, 2008

Coding Horror

It's one of the few blogs that I check out more than a couple of times a week. Not sure how I came across it. Didn't stumble upon it or anything. That was in 2005 or something. Anyway. I liked the name. Very close to home. The guy also had pretty interesting posts. And they're like very regular. Makes me wonder, that kind of thing, when a guy gets time to work. Blogging can take up a significant amount of time.

So he quit a couple of weeks ago [I've been wanting to do this post for a couple of weeks]. Surprised me a bit, but gave me some comfort. I'm not the only one to have quit their dream job. The difference probably is that he's doing it based on a high while I left mine in the midst of a depressed state of mind. And ended up in management [still not sure why they haven't fired me yet, seeing as I abdicate all supervisory tasks], in an industry I'd sworn when I left campus I'd never work for.

What does one do when they quit their dream job. What does that mean. For me, it's been a struggle with accepting the apparent implication. That it's downhill from there. I used to walk with a bounce in my step. Skip along to work. Literally. Now I murmur all sorts of absurdities when I get up in the morning. And there have been two occasions recently when I almost didn't make it out of bed. It's a scary thing when you get up and think to yourself "I'm not going to work today", and go back to sleep.

I'll be interested to see what happens with Jeff, and how the coding horror changes, if at all.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home