Monday, December 03, 2007

Moving on

The Philosopha was telling me the other day how he's moved jobs. Left our once common employer last week. Took me by real surprise. Not that I thought he was entrenched or anything but I didn't see the outward signs and emotional outbursts that I would associate with an exit. Made me think. There must be like 20 guys who've come and gone in the couple of years since I started out there. And this isn't a bad place to work. The guys who are left are basically life members. And why are Safaricom permanently hiring ERP developers [that's the other thing that came to mind].

On a similar note, I'll be taking a break from it all. It'll be almost 2 years to the day since I did a similar thing. It must be me. Can't always blame the job. Moving straight to another job will land me exactly where I am now, exactly 2 years from now. My existence right now is crap, but I need to come to terms with what a job means [I always wanted to work, rather than have a job. I would also like a pony. A guy can have a pony right?]. This business of contentment seems to be a short lived illusion. At best it lasts for a couple of years or projects. Before you get into the business of living. I'm not sure what I'll do or how it'll turn out but for now, I'm moving on.

4 Comments:

Blogger matejivu said...

Samborera,
You are actually making good your threat to quit and do a pony, but it's very eeeh interesting.
3 months ago, toasts flew and for once people celebrated your promotion because for once a guy rose without putting lick prints on the a** of the boss.
Yaani you are so fed up?
Initially i thought thro' time you'd 'sober up' as it were. May be i am programmed to be a slave.
Teach me a few things. For this courage is new. very desirable. Actually deep down i have arrogance that resembles your resolve, but man! bills are flying all over! left right, center and even from nowhere.

Monday, December 03, 2007 10:32:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I think my issues are more fundamental than being exasperated at work.

Spoke with the boss today. I like to give advance warning before printing out the letter. He suggested I need to get married [to get meaning for my life] or move out [to have bills to pay]. He's probably right, as is everyone else. But.

Wednesday, December 05, 2007 8:07:00 PM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

Knowing what you dont want is a good thing. You cannot keep doing the same thing hoping it will give you a different solution. Personally I am stuck doing something that I do not believe in but too scared to stop doing it. You are a brave one.

Take some time off, wachaiive, see how things go it cant be any worse than what you are doing now and at the very least it will be something different which is always a good thing. Getting married and moving out will ties you down and reduces freedom to do what you must.

Thursday, December 06, 2007 7:51:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

One guy was telling me how he's surrendered to life. I don't know why I fight it so hard. Freedom to quit and starve is truly liberating. I had started picturing myself passing by Kenya National Theatre to see if there are any auditions going on.

So I give the boss my letter. He says he'd be very happy to receive it, if I was headed for better pay elsewhere. He organises a meeting with his boss who insists that I should give it another shot. So I'm taking some days off to come back to the office next year. To see how it goes then. If you can't do it on your own there's always suicide by cop. How long till they'll fire me I wonder.

Someone mentioned that it's off peak [low season?] at the coast. How? Anyone have twende magazine or can recommend a lodgo a guy can spend a couple of days at.

Tuesday, December 11, 2007 8:54:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home