Sunday, April 08, 2007

sitting it out

I have never been on leave this long (the sick leave I took some years back does not count). I have not been in the office since 9 Mar and dont expect to be back there before 19 Mar. Granted the leave has been forced by unavoidable circumstances, but it is still leave in the sense that I do not have to wake up in the morning, go anywhere, do anything or even do nothing. I am totally free. I have not been feeling useless, bored or looking forward to going back to work. Actually, I am not even not looking forward to going back to work, I am more or less indifferent to the whole work thing, I am neither scared of all the stuff that has been accumulating during my absence or looking forward to the sense of purpose that comes with a job. I guess all this comes from the fact that I have been working in the same place for nearly four years now. Four years is a long time, it is the same amount of time I spent in campo and high school and half the amount of time I spent in primo. If I compare four years in high school and campo to four years with my current employer I find the latter four years to be less significant and a jamaa really needs to think about if this contractual relationship ought to be terminated, should be maintained as is or a jamaa should change the way he does things to get more out of the relationship. Perhaps, a jamaa should get a mortgage and/or get married or have a baby and then his priorities will change and having some cash at the end of the month will mean something totally different.

Anyway back to the lounging that I have been doing. I now know how it feels to be a kept man, to wake up in the morning (more like afte) and depending on the weather either watch some telly and listen to radio or take a bus ride to nowhere in particular (basically walk to bus stop and wait for a bus with the most exotic sounding destination and just take a ride), have lunch/dinner that someone else has cooked. In the past I have toyed around with the idea of slowing down in the next 5-10 years. Take up a teaching job somewhere, where I will only take 1 or 2 classes a sem so that I only have to work 2 or 3 days a week and spend the rest of my time doing nothing. I would always be broke but in return I would never get stressed, have to wake up befor sunrise, or work hard (other than marking of course). Now that would be the life. Why does a jamaa have to fight with his lazy nature he should instead embrace it and adapt his way of life around it.

2 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

Enjoy it while it lasts!!!

Wednesday, April 11, 2007 7:05:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The lecturing idea is straight after my own heart. Unlike you though, I would have no qualms about it. I think one should do the easiest and least time-consuming job one can find, with the highest pay. The rest of the time should be for living (read; lounging)

Monday, April 16, 2007 3:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home