Monday, March 26, 2007

Two weeks

I have not drunk in two weeks. This is probably because there are no pubs near me, my sis does not drink and I do not have a car. Going through 2 whole weekend without a hangi has been good but has not been as good as I expected it would be. I wonder if I will want to keep this up when I come back. It might be interesting to go a month, two months or even three months without drinking. A jamaa can do that just for laughs.

It has also been two weeks of sleeping in a sleeping bag on a couch. To make things worse my sis sets the heat up really high and since there is only one heater for the flat I keep waking up in the middle of the night. And then there is a main road right outside the window and there is always an ambulance or cop car or fire engine racing by with blaring sirens. I believe that these guys just drive around with the sirens on to disturb guys who are trying to sleep because there is no way there can be traffic at 2 am and I have been checking newspapers and TV news and there have been no disasters to warrant emergency response.

In todays news they reported that there have been 96 murders in Philadelphia since the beginning of the year. Considering the city has a population of around 5m this must represent a comparable if not higher murder rate than Nairobi and yet the American gvt issues a travel advisory against Kenya due to crime.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kelitu said...

Philly, Camden and Newark (NJ not DE) are hot spots for murders and drive-bys.

Last year Newark surpassed it's murder record and by the 3rd of Jan 07, 5 peole had already been killed.
It's like human life means nothing to them.

Saturday, March 31, 2007 8:16:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home