Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Panado and Puritone

I have been feeling a little under the weather since late last week. Am not sure if I am catching a cold, stomach flu (is there such a thing by the way?), home sick, suffering from stress or just fatigued (highly probable since I have not taken leave since December last year). In my mind there is one cure for flu, migraines, headaches or nausea Panadol and Piriton. I have been taking this combination since I was old enough to swallow pills. I have fond memories of my mum splitting a Panadol tablet in two for me to take when I was around 6 or 7 years old.

So after it became clear to me that I was not going to shake off whatever is ailing me naturally I decided to get some Panadol and Piriton jana evening. I went to a pharmacy near where they are putting me up, coz they do not have dukas here. Having no dukas is absolutely ridiculuous, I am forced to go to a supermarket around 1 km away just to buy a bread. I ask for Panadol at the pharmacy, in return the lady behind the counter gives me a blank look. I try explain that its a mild pain killer taken for head aches. I spell it out, and her face brightens and shows some kind of recognition, if we were characters in a cartoon, a light bulb would have popped up right above her head. She turns round, picks a box from the shelve and presents me with a white box written Panado.I give the box a cursory look and see that one of the ingridients is Paracetemol, it contains 24 tablets and its for headaches, pain and fever. Since their Dasani is called Bonaqua and their traffic lights robots it is perfectly reasonable for me to conclude that their Panadol is called Panado.My deduction is based on my scanty recollection of transitive relations from Basic Maths.

I then ask the nice lady for Piriton. The blank look returns. I spell it out to her but before I finish she leaves the counter and walks to a drawer on the far side of the room. She returns with a yellow box with the word Piritone on it. Again I deduce that if a guy moves a few thousand miles from home Piriton can become Piritone. I pay her and leave.

When I get to the house I study the boxes a little closer. The Panado I bought is not made by GlaxxoSmithkline so must be fake. The Piritone I bought is actually Puritone and is 'For the relief of occasional constipation'. I think I will try the fake Panadol but I am not going to take any Puritone.

I have decided to take some sick leave today. There is no benefit in me pushing myself when I am here. They cannot fire me or increase my earnings so they are of no use to me.

On another note. I have been summoned back. Looks like someone realised that I may be getting to comfortable here. I will be back in early October, take leave for a week and look forward to the 3 public holidays in the month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home