Monday, August 14, 2006

A near miss

I've never been in a car accident before.

So on sato our department at work went out of town for a team building session. I wasn't looking forward to it exactly, seeing as I'd gotten home at 2 on Friday night.

Anyway, after running around [and spraining my ankle in the process] we passed by a colleague's place in kitengela for some drinks and nyam chom. The transport that was meant to take those of us without cars to town was cancelled cause there were enough guys with their own cars who would drop guys off. I was in the group of guys who were leaving last. There was a guy in the group who lives in the same neighbourhood as me so I stuck around. Some time after 9 we left for Nairobi.

I sat oblivious to the goings on around me until I noticed the car going off the road, as if to avoid something. And we weren't moving slowly. We didn't keep to the side of the road though but turned and crossed the road, heading for the bushes on the other side. The car had clearly lost control. Then we started turning. 360 degrees. Twice. All the while the car making awful noises. We came to a halt on the side of the road, facing the opposite direction from which we were headed initially. I'm not sure how come we didn't go off into the bush/ditch/whatever. That we stayed on the ground and didn't roll over. There was a brief moment of silence. I was terrified. For about a minute there was no other car going in either direction. Another thing we were lucky about. We did a U-turn and continued on with our journey. Apparently there's a guy who came to our side of the road as he was overtaking and we had to take evasive measures, then lost control.

Our lives were spared on saturday night. The end can come so quickly and suddenly.

5 Comments:

Blogger bankelele said...

Very sorry. Reminds me of my close call(http://bankelele.blogspot.com/2005/09/end-of-bankelele-discovering-backwards.html) about a year ago. During the spin, I had no realization of what was actualy happening (or could have happened) to us, it was like I was playing a video game

Monday, August 14, 2006 11:22:00 AM  
Blogger Kelitu said...

Pole. Hope you have recovered from the shock.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006 2:45:00 AM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

Pole mzee. Car accidents or as a matter of fact any kind of accident that can cause physical injury can be very traumatising. Cars are dangerous things, and as you have realised thing s can get very bad in a matter of seconds. This is why I hardly ever do more than 80, however my own reasonable actions do not protect me from everyone else on the road.

Thursday, August 17, 2006 3:10:00 PM  
Blogger Girl next door said...

Car accidents are scary, and sometimes you'll get flashbacks of the whole scene in slow motion. What a relief that you escaped harm.

Wednesday, August 30, 2006 11:02:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

all - Thanks. Life changing moments... still coming to terms with my mortality.

girl next door - you look kind of familiar [this is not a line]. Did I ever comment on your blog, perhaps long, long ago.

Thursday, August 31, 2006 7:24:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home