Friday, August 11, 2006

Meeting the MD

I had a meeting the the MD today. Part of the orientation process apparently. Me and a couple of other new guys who are in 'management' grade[s]. That's in quotes because, let's be honest. I'm not a manager. I'm a programmer. So I saved my one suit to put on today.

Anyway. The thing about meeting 'big' people, for me, is that it's eye opening. In the sense that you realise that these guys are just that. Normal human beings like you. Kind of the way Joel discovered that Bill Gates isn't a one-eyed, 2 headed something or other. As I realised sometime back, kumbe adults are grown up kids.

As much as I often question the need for such meetings, it's helpful in as much as it is inspiring. For a couple of hours at least, you have a sense of belonging and a certain other feeling that makes you want to work harder/better.

1 Comments:

Blogger aJamaa said...

Meeting some of this people can also highlight differences between us mere mortals and them. I once had a drink with a guy who while comparing his BMW X5 to his Benz mentioned that with the X5 he spends 5k on fuel while with the Benz only 3k. And dont get me wrong the guy was not bragging he was just stating a fact of his life.

Or this other time I was trying to explain to my boss that most people buy pre-printed airtime vouchers from a duka. While this is my everyday life, it as an alien concept to him. He doesnt have a duka next to where he lives. He probably has not been to a duka for decades.

Friday, August 11, 2006 2:40:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home