Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Image is nothing ...

For the longest time, I was just a face behind a computer screen. Quiet, unobtrusive, laid back. And for the longest time I was ignored (by women, I might add). This was not particularly a bad thing, neither a thing that you relish, just one of those things that just are; that you don't have any feeling or opinion. (I have many of such).

Until we took a company sponsored trip to a resort out in the wild. Alas, there was plenty of free alchohol. Never one to shy off, I imbibed a quantity and inevitably, things began to unravel. I am told, that I took a very comical turn. The tongue came loose, and suddenly I could not stop talking; I was not afraid of anyone.

The following Monday, I could not hide behind my usual dour mask; It was in the open that I could talk a great deal. I can't exactly remember at what point from my "talking" debut, that a certain lady started offering advice on a wide range of issues, for instance: How the hem of a man's trousers should look like. That women look at your belt? Did you guys know that? No, I did not think so. Shoes with slant soles? Na Na. It was impressed on me, listen to this, that I have potential and should stop looking haggard (eeeew!) and dishevelled and a slew of other adjectives that accurately reflected my state of dress at the time.

That stung to the quick. Seeing that I could improve my dating life drastically, if I follow my colleague's advice was even more motivation. So I walked into a shop and walked out with 2 pairs of prim looking shoes for a painful 6000 bob. I did a few other choice buys, and in short order, shillings 10,000 disappeared.

If you are thinking I got the attention I craved you are mistaken. It occurred to me, after some reflection, that for 10000, I was very decently dressed but not outstanding. Have to squeeze out a few more bucks for that brother. For my effort, all I got was a soundless nod from my haute couture adviser.

I am a very practical man. I have a very uncultured walk, mainly because it is practical and gets me where I want to go. So my two pairs of shoes got a sole slant quite fast. Alas, that quickly put them out of contention as "presentable, imageable" wear.

The pocket (or rather, the emptiness of it) talks to you in a decisive and convincing manner. Thus an unspoken decision came to pass that I will not buy shoes (or any other apparel for that matter) simply because the angle of inclination has changed, or a little loss of colour has happened to the fabric.

I threw out the "dress good" theories out the window, albeit guiltily. You see, it is hard to ask a blind man who has seen the light to be blind again. Of course, I cannot return to my earlier cocoon. Everyone used to dismiss me as a nerd and go about their business. My good lady friend has realised that some things cannot change and has desisted from trying to instill a "dress sense" in me. Not too bad after all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Bee said...

Well, there isnt a problem with being your self and having your own dress sense but this shouldn't be an excuse not to look presentable. If clothes are faded and lost their original colour then they are way overdue for the chop. And slanted shoes despite not looking presentable are also not good for the health of your feet,just think what it does to the soles of your feet to walk at the weird angle!!! :(

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:16:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I didn't know they look at your belt! I'm covered though. I always make sure the t-shirts I wear don't give anything away. I first heard about the shoes thing in first year in campus. I've never owned more than 2 pairs of wearable shoes at a time though, and that is not about to change.

You should be a bit patient with the new look. Chics unlike guys take their time to reveal what impression you make on them. If kesho, my chic workmate came looking fly, I'd tell her there and then. Chics have to consult a rule book or their friends and stuff like that.

I bought a really expensive t-shirt last year, and on seeing the 'new me', there's a chic in the office who remarked how desirable I look, and how I could make an impression on some lovely lass somewhere. She'd probably have asked me out for lunch if she wasn't pregnant.

I tried to be friendly when I joined my current employer, but as new guys here have discovered, it's not the most friendly of places. I gave up, and reverted to my cocoon. Hiding behind my huge computer screen.

Wednesday, January 11, 2006 7:19:00 PM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

If I did not look presentable, I would have been fired already. In my dept, we just dress different (could not be bothered with ties and shirts) ......
That's because it hardly matters if you are wearing brooks brothers suits but if you are late on a project, someone will nail your hide to the wall and yes, the shoes slant a bit. A two week run on shoes will slant the sole. I can't go back and spend another 3000.

Health of my feet? Thats a new one. I thought that applied to women because of the high heeled shoes?

Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:38:00 AM  
Blogger Bee said...

Yes! just like slanted shoes high heeled shoes are also bad for the health of your feet.

Thursday, January 12, 2006 2:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home