Tuesday, January 10, 2006

A rant

I haven't talked about work for ages on this blog, or any other place come to think of it. Inevitably, another rant is due.

I've been really struggling to come to work so far this week. I actually slept at 2am Sunday night, knowing full well I'll probably not be able to get up in time for work the next day. Yesterday, I was up till 1. This from a guy who needs like 10hrs of sleep every day. Given, my general mood has been a bit on the downer of late.

I feel I have learnt a lot of stuff here, and my learning here is over. I look around me and see people who are so content with themselves. Perhaps they earn six figures. Perhaps they have millions in stock and just come to work to avoid the boredom of staying at home. I've started wondering how people work at one place for 20 years. It's seems to me like guys are just glad to take a pay cheque home every month. A job should be more than that. Can be more than that.

The first time I decided to quit, I was confident that I'd be cool with whatever happened thereafter. I even managed to save some money for the first time since I started working, in anticipation of the cash flow problems to follow. Since that time, I found it difficult to limit my spending as I'd vowed to. I found it difficult to stop going out, as I needed to. Not being able to buy credit or buy stuff I wanted was also hard. No responses to job applications also woke me up to the fact that this may go on for quite a while.

As a colleague of mine keeps saying and pointed out again yesterday, we say all sorts of stuff but still come to work. "You don't have to work here", he correctly pointed out. So why am I still here. I have been convincing myself that it's because of financial obligations to my family. [Most people who I tell that I live with my mother [invariably chics], insist that I must be really irresponsible, with loads of cash to myself. Well, I am somewhat irresponsible]. Anyhow, as the cliche here goes, "there comes a time" [That's how everybody who leaves this place starts their final emails].

That time has come for me. I will leave my current employ at the beginning of March. That will make it 2 years having worked here. Nice round figure that I can tell people. I will give notice at the end of this month. I've recently woken up to the reality that I may not get another job in 3 months, 6 months, 2 years, a lifetime. I am ready to lie in the bed I make.

6 Comments:

Blogger 0.5 said...

I will bet one drink that someone ('someone' also includes yourself) will convince you otherwise

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 10:29:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

A pretty safe bet you'd think, given my mood swings and prior decisions to this effect. Just in case, I drink mineral water. Well, just any water that comes in a bottle. I even quit soda. Life is hard!

[Did you enable comment moderation? How does it work?]

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:05:00 AM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

Yeah, I enabled it. I thought I could be able to remove [_]'s name without necessarily having to delete the entire post.

Did not work. I don't know how comment moderation works. Is it interfering with posting and stuff, may be I should revert.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:34:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I was just wondering about the having to approve comments part. Possibly that will kick in if non-members comment, I don't know. Just revert, now that that post is gone anyway.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Bee said...

I will try once again to comment on this blog.. i've been blocked the last 3 times and I had really good comments too!! :( anyway.. Sambs all the best with the notice. Maybe not having a job will be the kick that pushes you to hustle for a better job or start your own business. I have always been one of those who have to have a plan b (i.e job offer) before i leave my present one lakini having a safety net might make one too complacent too.. well all the best whatever happens!!

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:16:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Yeah. My ideas about work are pretty warped, just like my ideas about many things.

Tuesday, January 10, 2006 12:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home