Saturday, December 17, 2005

a super, super day.

Today is Saturday. I was hauled out of bed half drunk today morning. Work. You see, yesterday, we attended this function, and as goes with such functions, there was free beer. Never one to shy away from such noble responsibility, I took more than my fair share of the workload.

Someone calls. It is way too early in the day to be receiving calls. My head is pounding. They call again. I do the first mistake, I switch off my phone. That is a high crime here. After 30 minutes I realize I must get moving. The phone is still off.

I arrive to find guys asking whether a certain job that was to have been completed like 3 weeks ago has been done. What do you think? It has not been done. But what do I say? Oh yes, that? That I finished yesterday afternoon. So someone asks: why no deliveries. At this I launch into a long technical and very abstract explanation which always silences the citizens. I open query analyzer and script the thing damn quick. Mistake two. I am missing some data; The data that manages to get picked is wrong; The already picked and wrong data gets truncated because of a malformed query and thus makes even less sense. Of course I don't know all this. I run a quick check. Everything looks fine
Press F5. About to Execute. [this many records] are going to be transferred. Do you want to continue? Of course dammit, what's with these Microsoft message boxes, why would I want to press F5 if I did not want the package to execute? I want to go home.

Executed. Trouble. In purified form.

Now there are 10,000 irate customers out there. All hell has broken loose. Names of high rollers are being invoked in every phone call.

1 Comments:

Blogger Samborera said...

Why would anyone expect anything different after rousing you up unexpectedly on a Saturday morning.

Monday, December 19, 2005 9:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home