Saturday, March 06, 2010

Overqualified

So I've been jobless for a couple of months. Truth be told, I don't really know what I want to do. I've had some vague ideas, but nothing really concrete. Someone asked me a couple of weeks back what I had in mind about career. It took me by surprise that question. In all the time I've had to think about my life, and all sorts of other stuff, I've never once thought of career. What I want to be doing 5, 10, 20 years from now.

I've never been able to think about more than the present. The future for me was always some hazy, mysterious thing. Deep space. And as a result, it happened by default. I never consciously picked it. Career? I don't know. OK. I was forced to think about it that day, and coupled with some other stuff, some ideas have come to mind. The other stuff being something I always thought happened to other people.

I never understood this word, overqualified. Used to hear it a lot a long time ago but it didn't make sense to me. I didn't have a masters degree so it was never going to apply to me anyway. But a couple of weeks ago, I got a reality check. I got word that these particular HR guys were concerned. They feared that I was overqualified and a flight risk. I consider myself [now] to be a high risk employee, and I'd think the latter about myself if I was looking at my CV. The former, however, had never crossed my mind. If I didn't know someone who worked at this place to tell me what the folks in charge of hiring were thinking, I probably would never have considered it. And if I can't do this job, I'm now not sure what job I can do.

I've seen a lot of ads. I like the idea of working for the county council of maragua, but there are probably other people who should be getting those jobs. There are an inordinate amount of people looking for IT managers. But I neither have a CCNA qualification, or know what those initials stand for. What else. If I can't get into places where I thought I would be of best use, where people need to know unmaintainable languages, or fear them and the prospects of working 12 hour days, and I'm over or under qualified for the rest of the stuff, it's time for plan C.

When I started off on my current path, it was an outcome I considered. An outsider, but on the list all the same. We'll see how it goes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home