Thursday, July 30, 2009

Sam unmarried

Increasingly, and rather alarmingly, acquaintances I meet tend to be mothers, fathers, husbands or wives. It's like a tsunami. Like some unstoppable force of nature. Maybe that's what a guy is meant to do. Primo, seco, campus, work, marriage and/or kids. Students of the model would certainly see it that way. Perhaps that's why some of us have been somewhat lost, tapataparing in the dark as it were. Trying to figure out what we should be doing next. Refusing to accept the model.

My run-ins with those wanting me to take the next step aren't new. But now aunties have gotten into the mix. "Na ile mambo niaje?". I'm a bit of a slow guy so it takes me all of a second to figure out what she's talking about. Then, quite involuntarily, the laugh comes out. For some reason whenever someone mentions me being hooked up in some way, my first reaction is always laughter. Perhaps it's a throwback to my breezing days. Perhaps my subconscious still can't believe that a chic would agree to give me the time of day. But I'm thinking things must be really thick. To be told that if I were to say ng'we, people would arrange for something. Or someone.

6 Comments:

Anonymous kellie said...

Welcome to the club!

I have taken to missing all extended family functions with the hope that the relatives will forget I exist.

Thursday, July 30, 2009 1:48:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I used to think of this kind of thing as happening to "other people". Terrifying.

Friday, July 31, 2009 10:40:00 AM  
Blogger Kamikaze said...

I met coconuts recently. I really hope she never stumbled on this blog cause it will take half a second to know I am talking about a conversation we had. Anyways, it has been a while so we did the usual chitchat which came around to who has gotten married in our crew. The laugh came out. Involuntarily. She knows sam, the resident doctors, 0.5 and aJamaa. I said the guy closest to tying the deathly knot is some guy not even in the country, probably sees the person we think is the fiancee once in three months. The rest? Just laugh.

Friday, July 31, 2009 3:27:00 PM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

One of my workmates is like 42 but could pass for mid 30s. She is single and as far as I can tell very normal. She does not work harder than other people and does not seem to be gay, a man hater or anything that would explain her single condition. She is very nice and friendly quite attractive, really nice a** and there does not seem to be anything wrong with her. I would like to ask her why she is single. Ask if she ever rues not getting married. Ask if she might still get married. Ask how she has managed the pressure from friends family etc over the years.

But I do not because I think it would be impolite and I would be implying there is something wrong with the fact that she is not married. So I choose to watch and observe try to be her friend. From what I have seen so far she is not married just because she is not. I do not think there is a special reason why she is not married and not being married has not made her miserable, gay, chase after younger men etc She is just a lady who is not married just like there is a lady who grew up without a brother or a lady who is widowed or a lady with long hair or anything else that would make one lady slightly different from another.

I look at her mostly to try and answer the question, what if I am not married at 42. What is the worse that can happen? I will not grow a tail, become gay, miserable, a drunkard or sugar daddy. I do not see why I will be much different from the way I am now. And considering I am pretty happy with the way I am now that is actually a good thing.

Infact getting married will definately change the status quo and maybe make me miserable a sugar daddy, drunkard or all those other things I do not want to be.

Friday, July 31, 2009 5:56:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Kamikaze - The blog is introverted. No way she'll stumble upon it.

aJamaa - Well said.

Friday, July 31, 2009 6:24:00 PM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

I saw this question ...
what if I am not married at 42 ..
and burst out laughing.

aJamaa, wake up. You have been bagged and tagged. I have pretty much written you off. Hehehe ..
...Some say you will not ride out the year before you make some sort of announcement ..ahem!!!

I think there are bets out there.
Kamikaze, how much was it? 10K?

Friday, July 31, 2009 7:05:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home