Friday, June 29, 2007

Giving unto ceasar

They shouldn't require us, the tax collection guys shouldn't, to fill in those tax return forms. Some of us at least. Those who's only source of income is a salary which comes with the tax already taken out.

This year was the first time I had an idea of what was actually going into those forms. The other times I've filled the returns have been in zombie mode, copying what the next guy had on his. And it's always terrified me the thought of doing the return. Not sure why. Unless I become a celeb or something, they are unlikely to come after me for back taxes and the like. So I actually tried to do some calculations this year. What folly. I don't know what got into me. Must be all those P9 forms. [Note to self: Don't change jobs more than 3 times in a year] I finally did get everything done. The act of handing in the return has been another source of terror. The thought of being grilled by a government official always torments me. Last year was wonderful. Walked into a supermarket and dropped it off there. I doubt very much the lovely lady receiving the forms was a civil servant. Come this year and the alternative drop off points weren't exactly at locations convenient to me. I ended up at the KRA tent. Immediately after handing in the form I started to wonder what all my paranoia was about. The guy taking the form barely checked that I had my name on there [unless his trained eye scanned the rest of the document while I was blinking]. And looking at the other guys in the queue made me realise how foolish it was fearing that I'd filled in something incorrectly. We would probably be millions in the same boat. As a result, I'm no longer afraid of doing my returns. Bring on next year's forms. [I'll probably still be living at home so that landlords' PIN business shouldn't come into play]

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Sam,

Those guys from KRA horrify the best in us who are in Finance. Last week they sent our boss back twice because they claim he made more relief/exemption claims and wanted a refund. he literally had to refill the form twice! Guess when i take a life policy or properly start pension contribution(exempt to a limit) if I ever have to, I will just neglect the tax exemption. The poor dude is traumatised given that some of us juniors were on a roll just droping the damn papers.LOL.

BTW I got an IT proposal for guys to help out. any takers!

Monday, July 02, 2007 11:17:00 AM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

In my mind the intention of those forms is to scare some guys into paying taxes they would otherwise have evaded. If you has nothing had to hide was tortured by the forms. Imagine that landlord in Eastleigh who has not been paying taxes and now has tenants who may have obtained his PIN from somewhere and now has a KRA office in his neighbourhood. He must be sh*ting bricks

Thursday, July 05, 2007 7:43:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home