Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Of Doctors, Pharmacists and HMOs.

My left eye has some sort of lump (huge). Its been there for about 8 weeks now. I had ignored the thing until everyone started yelling in my face: Dude whats wrong with your eye? Go see a doctor!
My employer provides a very good medical cover (thank God). So I walk into doctor #1 office.
The guy feels my eyelids and shines a bright torch into my pupil. He calls it a "cyst", scribbles something illegible on a piece of paper, certainly does not forget to add 1500/= consultation fee on the HMO claim form and merrily sends me to doctor #2.

Doctor #2.
Asks me to read jumbled letters on a white board. Declares my vision to be something like 6/9. Vision is not my problem.
Is it painful? He asks.
No doctor its not.
Is it a tumor? My turn.
No.
What causes it?
And so on and so forth.
Final advice. Rub lower eyelid with warm water every day. Then visit your pharmacist and buy this drug (insert illegible sht here). Turns out to be eyedrops.
Screech screech on the printer. 1500/= consultation fee. 500/= for the eyedrops. Sign here please. Stamp. MONEY in the bank. Smile for the freaking cameras. Please come after 1 week.

I apply the eyedrops and my eye actually begins to hurt. It also gets a sickly, red hue. No improvement. After one week I go back. I find another doctor, doctor #3. He pulls out my file and reads the prognosis.
Hmmmmmmm. He hums thoughtfully. We still need to observe it for a little longer. He quips. Meanwhile, stop using the eyedrops I will prescribe this ....(hands over an illegible note). Must be the god-complex. Because you cannot get through primary school and high school with handwriting like that. Even university. No one has time to read illegible garbage at school.
Another round of signing and charges.

I present the prescription at the pharmacy. The guy reads it and almost starts smiling (or I imagine it. I am not quite sure). He hands me a box of tablets. Augmentin. Sign here please. Whoa! The box costs almost 3000/=!

There is no improvement, in fact the situation has deteriorated. This is not the first time this has happened. If your cover is good, they hit it like there is no tomorrow. The last time I had malaria, I was given malaria medication and other complementary drugs, which came to a total of 9000/=.
And they never give you generic drugs. Never. You get drugs from Switzerland (made by Pfizer and Roche and cost the engine of a jet aircraft - I read the labels) packed as if they are to be ferried to the Queen of England. These cost as much as 50 times the price of the generics for the same effect. Then they want to spread the treatment over a period so that they bag as much consultation fees as possible.

May be I should not care. Of course everything is legal. Still, it does not sit right with me. Some Docs and Pharmacies are conning HMOs.

6 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

I agree with philosopha..get a third opinion ASAP!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 8:03:00 PM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

May be you mean a fourth opinion?
I have already seen three doctors in the short space of about 10 days.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 8:25:00 AM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

I empathise with your situation. I have a scalp infection that has been treated by four different doctors in the last four years. The last two prescribed the same cocktail that does not work.

My jua kali mechanic and doctors share something in common. They can never give a straight answer. Its always lets try this or that at my expense. Medicine has to be the only profession where a professional opinion is frowned upon.

Thursday, September 07, 2006 9:54:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Lee a.k.a HeLost and Kigz seem like reasonable doctors to me. Incidentally, Lee has started a masters. Anaesthesiology or something.

I've always found medical claims and going to approved doctors/hospitals and the myriad other pre-conditions to having your employer pay your doctor[s] bills impossibly inconveniencing. But when you are told you need surgery...

Friday, September 08, 2006 7:58:00 AM  
Blogger Komi said...

Umepona? I have a good doctor, the only good one remaining. He was my fourth and last opinion. He also knows dependable dudes if he needs to refer you elsewhere. Write me an email if you want his contacts.

Friday, November 10, 2006 10:37:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Cindy Floyd and i would like to show you my personal experience with Augmentin.

I suffered from Pseudofolliculitis behind my head for years and by chance I got Augmentin from Libya without any prescription. In Europe all the doctors that I consulted could not find solution for this problem so one day I just worked into a pharmacy in Libya and showed it to the Doctor in charge of the pharmacy who adviced me to take Augmentin. I was a bit hesitant but before my returning date (after 5 days) I noticed that all the bumps are drying. and now I'm very proud of my head.

Side Effects :
None…Miracle drug…

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Cindy Floyd

Friday, October 03, 2008 1:00:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home