Friday, September 29, 2006

Inspired 14 year old

I was at a bookshop yesterday looking for some books my kid bro needs when I wondered towards IT books. I always find myself doing this when I am in a bookshop or lib. Although I don't write code anymore I cant shake off the habit. Its kind of similar to the way I still find myself wondering to the toy car section when I am in a supermarket.

Anyway While checking out some of the books I noticed a young lad flippng through a book titled, 'Programming PHP and MySQL'. Next to him was a middle aged woman who I correctly assumed to be his mum. At some point the mum walked by me and I just had to ask if the book was for the boy and she replied that it was. When I asked her if he needed the book for school, she said that it wasnt and explained that since his dad got him a comp last year he has been spending all his time with it and had taught himself quite a lot. She added that the boy was 14.

I was really curious about the boy so I picked a conversation with him and he explained that he spends a lot of time on the comp, has been developing web sites for guys and while he already had a good understanding of PHP and MySQL he was looking to get a quick reference book.

A few weeks ago I downloaded MySQL with the intention of learning how to use it since every so often I have to work with data that is too large for Excel and Access and would be too slow to anaylse using audit software. However, I have not done anything with it since I installed it not even opened the sample database and here is a 14 year old who instead of playing or in addition to playing computer games is coding.

2 Comments:

Blogger Princess said...

The world is seriously this kids oyster.

Friday, September 29, 2006 7:53:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I'm not so sure. Given, the kid will probably make loads of money, but will he be able to play football. Not that kids play anymore in this concrete jungle we live in.

I never got a comp for myself because I knew I'd never get off the desk. Then I would never get to meet married women and such like things that make life interesting.

Monday, October 02, 2006 7:32:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home