Friday, July 07, 2006

Fire drills

Just finished a fire drill. This is the second in one month. Enyewe this guys like them and incidentally both of them have been on Friday morning. I guess somebody did some kind of study that showed the risk of fire to be highest on Friday morning. When the alarms went off everybody was confused and guys started inquiring from each other what is going on. As if the guy next to you would have more info? After we saw our bosses making there way to the fire exits we all followed suite. This took like 2 minutes since guys had to complete the paragraph they were typing or phone call they were on, pack up their posessions, get their coats on and pick up their purses and some people even picked up files. One guy really jazzed me, he was making a cup of tea when the alarm went off, he calmly finished making his tea, and took it down the steps really slow to make sure that he didn't spill any of it.

But it was a nice day for a fire drill, the sun is out and the sky clear not a bad day to hang out in the parking lot instead of sitting at my desk that happens to be on a corner and so never get any sunlight. Sometimes I envy guys who work outdoors they get to enjoy nice weather.

5 Comments:

Blogger Samborera said...

Who's this computer doctor...

I've seen/experienced/read/heard this story so many times. What I'm asking myself today is what makes programmers unique in this respect. Are they. Is it only programmers who loathe wearing suits? [I'm headed to purchase my first suit ever shortly. HR policy, I must be dressed in a suit. I heard someone in HR had exclaimed at myself and another new programmer, "are these the guys we hired?" in apparent reference to our lack of suits. And I think my boss has been looking at me funny]. Is it only programmers who get consumed by what they do. I've forgotten to eat so many times it's no wonder I am as thin as I am. My mum had a go at me for choosing to do comp science, but since I actually got a job and earn a decent salary, she doesn't mention it too much.

As you can tell, all this is very real for me. But what is it about programm[ers/ing].

Saturday, July 08, 2006 1:33:00 PM  
Blogger Malaika said...

why are you talking to a spammer dude?

Sunday, July 09, 2006 5:49:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I thought word verification keeps spammers away.

Monday, July 10, 2006 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

I dont think this is a spammer, or if it is a spammer, he is a very smart one.

We are a weird lot, no doubt about that. The good thing is that I dont have to wear a suit or a tie or even a shirt. I can do jeans and t-shirt on a monday while Accountants and other such people have red eyes from all the suffocation of suits and ties.And I don't have to talk to internal customers either. I think someone around here knows that its best if we are left to the gizmos and broodiness.

I get away with replying to e-mail "It is not ready and will not be for another two weeks". Period. You are not supposed to talk to me in the first place. You talk to the architect, or the project lead.

Usually, you allow Managers to take credit for a super product;
Project timeline issues are handled like:
M: We need this in 3 weeks.
P: It is not possible to deliver in 3 weeks.
M: IT HAS TO SHIP IN 3 WEEKS.
P: 'Kay.
After 3 weeks, you hand in thick reams of code that cannot do anything coherent.

P: Told you it cannot ship in 3 weeks......
M: [Talks on endlessly]

Monday, July 10, 2006 8:41:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In some rare cases lawyers can become CEOs.The lawyer-CEO will usually start out by requiring that you sign something that says every idea you ever had have now or ever will have including without limitation or recourse or commas ideas any children of yours may have including derivative rights from such ideas and derivative rights which might reasonably be inferred from such ideas of either yourself or said issue or ideas of said issues or issues of said ideas shall without further compensation or assignment or risk or hassle become for all time the exclusive property of our current employer and if necessary reasonable forms of torture may be used at the sole discretion of said CEO to extract said ideas should you prove recalcitrant in providing all of the forgoing without liability of any kind to said employer assigns or successors. You will, if course, hold all of the said above harmless from any consequences of any said ideas and undertake at your own expense to defend any actions taken against them and to hold them harmless from any judgments which might be rendered against them for any infractions real or alleged of any kind regardless of cause for which they may be held liable.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home