Thursday, June 22, 2006

R.A.N.T

Guess who is going on leave?
For ten working days I will be seen nowhere near the precincts of our office. T'was about time anyways.

Peeps have ensured that I got drunk and continue to get drunk into the foreseeable future, with no effort on my part. Thankzalot anonymouses.

Love. The one word that should not share a sentence with "I" and "you". A rule that is broken with reckless abandon by the girls. If brain activity was audible, you would hear klaxon-like sounds the moment these horrifying words are spoken to many a man.
Do you know what it is? Cause I don't and I am really not interested in knowing for the foreseeable future. Like is sufficient, even opulent.

I live under the cover of stars, as far as KRA and their half-ass@d returns declaration is concerned. I mean what the kucf is that? Landlord's PIN? Bast#rds! Can't they go and get the damn thing themselves?

Apparently, I saw a document that says I am supposed to retire on July 2035. 2035. Seems awfully close doesn't it? Was born way back in 1980. I am feeling sort of like milk that has already turned bad. Midlife crisis at 25. More like 26. See? Already in denial.

Yet another document says that I would be worth ....about 78,000. If dead. These HR documents, they sure have a way of turning one into a foul mood.
One of those "life/investment" advisers constantly drums it into my head that I need to save. So that I can buy a house. So that I can be comfortable in my old age. Bright future? Another big lie.

If I had another chance I probably would have studied Arts, just for the heck of it. Computer Science, my both feet! I wonder how I would have fared as a journalist for example. And not necessarily for the money.

Techies are treated like toads. Sort of like breathing nuts and bolts in a huge revolving gizmo. The managers on the other hand are perched atop the whole set up, chirrupping like parrots. They on occasion realize how dangerous techies can be when angry. They thus conspire to massage their egos a little bit and will drag teams to some godforsaken outpost, feed them copious amounts of beer and tepid camp food. They then sing them praises on and on like a broken record and imagine they have set everything straight.
Some of the ignorance you see is unbelievable. There is a very talented engineer. This guy is top notch in Radio Communications and Computers, a rare combination. For years on end he hassles management to re-consider his salary and is generally ignored. Pesky little Engineer. Getting in the way of management "meetings" and corporate wine drinking. Over the years the dude masters a technology that is so complex that it is only him who knows it. He attends one of these techie meetings and meets the Technology head of a huge global company who is so impressed with his knowhow that he hires him on the spot. The man puts his Kenyan affairs in order, gets on a plane and disappears. No neat and formal "I hereby tender my resignation ..".
At first it is thought that the guy probably had one too many. This notion is dispelled as services start acting up. His peers scour the whole town in search of him. Alas he has moved house. A little deeper investigation reveals he has left the country.
Suddenly, he now becomes very important. Word is put on the grapevine that the management will be very pleased to hear out any terms he offers.
Soon after, the employing company dispatches some amount of money that frees the man of any contractual obligation. A fitting end and an important lesson.

2 Comments:

Blogger Samborera said...

I gave up trying to understand that love thing. I've heard those 'klaxon-like sounds' once. A terrifying experience.

I think I've been going through mid-life crisis for the past half year or so. How long does this thing last.

Save to buy a house? These guys obviously haven't looked at the latest life expectancy figures.

I'd much prefer to have been a football player, than be a toad.


On another note, Lee will apparently have the company of 2 women tonight. I'll give you a call, you help a brother out.

Friday, June 23, 2006 2:03:00 PM  
Blogger aJamaa said...

A jamaa might sometimes be pushed into a corner and say the three words or in a moment of weakness blurt out the same. But what a jamaa means then is that he has certain thoughts at that instant that may be expressed in those three words. The problem is that those words that relate to a thought a jamaa has at that particular instant are taken to relate to a longer period of time. The problem is the extrapolation not the momentary thought.

Friday, June 23, 2006 2:14:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home