Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The geyser

I was talking to 0.5 the other day, about the haemorrhage that is going on in our department. There's a chic who left last week and more recently the guy who sits opposite me handed in his resignation letter. As it is rumour has it that there's someone else who is/has resigned. Perhaps a case of guys' imaginations running wild. Managers are now looking at everyone with great suspicion.

According to our HR department, guys here are paid market rates. Better even. So where is this guys are going to. 0.5 was telling me how a number of people have turned down job offers at his place. Jobs paying more than most in this town. Hence, his proposition that "There must be a place where money is boiling from the ground for easy pick-up."

I became very disillusioned and depressed last time I was looking for a job, with the realisation that employers want to use employees. Get the most out of them at the least cost. Get the best guy you can for the least amount of money. It has taken me a while to accept this, although I don't fully understand it. It is interesting though when the tables are turned. When guys chuck it in and go on to the next highest bidder, sometimes without prior notice. When guys take matters into their own hands. When they aren't at the mercy of the employer to do with them as they please. When guys find that geyser.

2 Comments:

Blogger aJamaa said...

The only sad thing is that your HR department might actually be paying market rates since there are more organisations that pay lower than yours does. Its a problem with our economy it is too small. There are very few jobs and too many qualified people . At least the first part of this line remains true coz as you may have already heard some employers are complaining about the lack of skill and talent.

What we need is more people willing to take a leap of faith, and refuse to continue being exploited. If enough people do it then the story may change to Few jobs and even fewer qualified people this will result in employers fighting for the few talented people unless they are willing to close shop.

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 5:46:00 PM  
Blogger Milonare said...

Having resigned like 1.5 weeks back I can totally relate.

I used to make my annual pay for my employer within 2 months.

Basically meant I was working for free rest of the 10 months.

Didn't make sense. Lets see how self-employment will fare for me...

Sunday, April 09, 2006 2:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home