Friday, March 24, 2006

The Lessig method

I attended a presentation today that reminded me of a post I read sometime back. The one good thing about a couple of courses we did in campus was the prof. insisted we be making presentations. Why bother with notes and things when you can sit back and listen to people talk about stuff they are keen on. Like I did. Anyway. I learnt quite a number of things about making and presenting powerpoint presenations, and more so because we only had 5 minutes each to do our thing. Another benefit. No wonder this guy is a prof. You could go for your breakfast [the breakfast of champions a la chai, mandazi na kebab], go to the lab 2 minutes before the class and whip up 5 slides on a topic that came up over tea. A topic like "The end game". Mind you, the first of those slides only has a title, and the last a summary.

Anyway. I digress. Attending this particular presenation reminded me of some stuff I'd read about making presentations, specifically not to read out the slides to your audience. They can read! [of course unless they can't] Somehow, when the presenter reads the stuff you are also trying to read, it becomes so much more difficult to follow. There are other thing that came to mind was the amount of stuff you put on slides, and The Lessig method. Less is more. A tenet that spans many domains.

5 Comments:

Blogger Shaggy said...

Hey anytime am first on a post I do a backflip.

So have a good weekend and surely be back. Great site..

oops I just fell flat on my butt.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I still don't get this "Yaay, I'm first on the post" thing. You slipped and fell? [I've never been good at taking complements hence the avoiding of commenting on the second paragraph. Perhaps the other introverteds will help me out]

Aah. I just realised that I should have title the post "The LESSig Method" but I wouldn't want to take anything away from the man himself.

Saturday, March 25, 2006 2:20:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like presenters who appear bila slides bila nada and then indulge the audience in a conversation/story-telling...

They send you the stuff in soft thereafter...

They rock!!!

Monday, March 27, 2006 7:47:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A kebab for breakfast you say? I could be wrong but isnt one of the ingredients raw white onions? Eek!!!

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I wouldn't know about the ingredients. All a guy wants is stuff that will fill his stomach. And these kebabs were HUGE.

Tuesday, March 28, 2006 1:35:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home