Thursday, February 02, 2006

The Java interview a.k.a What is a static factory method

Yup. I went for an interview/Java test at Mobile Planet this morning. It's starting to feel like exam season. I wish there was another way of getting a job.

12 questions. 1 hour. During the course of this week, I realised that I'd never written a single line of Java code before, and my attempts at passing off as a Java programmer would be stillborn. Thankfully, they didn't shove a computer at me. I've never been so happy to write code on a piece of paper. I don't think I can get a Hello World Java app to compile even. Especially seeing as I'd probably not have an IDE and would have to make do with the Intellisense that Notepad would have to offer. They were asking the kind of questions their current programmers can answer. A guy who is just masquerading as a Java programmer may do not-so-badly, but they'd be able to tell from your answers. Incidentally, the last question was "Who is your favourite technical publisher?". I just laughed out loud. I don't read books. Everyone knows that. It's a good thing I had stripped some site where a guy had mistakenly left available a bunch of books. Is there any other such publisher apart from Oreilly?

The verdict: If you are called for an interview where you will be doing a Java test, don't bother reading tutorials or books on Java. You'll be asked to describe how to set up a VPN using standard tools on a GNU/Linux system.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home