Friday, February 03, 2006

Attitudes

Ealier today, I was chatting with some workmates at the tea area when the attitude of one of our managers truly astonished me. Rather than replay the actual stories, I'll just talk about the idea. Basically, some of us [read me] were ranting about all manner of things, including having to pay 5 bob for an sms while Safcom makes 8 billion in profits. Her reaction? "What are you going to do about it". I guess it's a fair challenge, but I love to complain, even when I know things may not change due to my misgivings, or otherwise. I believe in the concept of speaking one's mind.

The saddest part for me was the fact that earlier today, I was talking with a couple of members of her department, about a meeting they had a couple of days ago. Apparently, they aren't happy about work and pay, and other stuff. Her response? "Why are you still here". That's just vile. How do you talk to your employees like that. It's a good thing some of us aren't in her department. That happens to be the general attitude of my current employer. Guys aren't happy. They know guys aren't happy. Their attitude? "Mta do?" Given, economic and (un)employment realities are keeping many people here, but still. We aren't goats. Well, I guess even goats deserve to be treated well. Sadly, this is the prevailing attitude among most employers in Nairobi.

2 Comments:

Blogger Athena said...

Thats why they get what they pay for.

Sometimes its not about what can be done, its appreciating the situation of the employees even if nothing can be done.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 9:55:00 AM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Well said.

I actually told her that's why some of us are leaving. Tired of talking and complaining all the time.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006 11:01:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home