Tuesday, January 03, 2006

There's no way

For the longest time, I was content at my current job. Then somtime towards the end of 2005 there was a downward spiral. I did what a lot of my friends and family had wanted me to do. I started looking for another job. Started looking for email addresses to send my cv off to [I've never liked the idea of dropping off a brown envelop with my plea for employment at some receptionist's desk. I'm probably just lazy and don't like walking around town].

Anyway, I asked for email addresses to fire off my cv to, and sure enough got some. As the outcome to one of these, I may be doing a phone interview with a Microsoft recruiter today evening. [I say may because these guys, unlike their Kenyan counterparts, respond like flash himself. I'd sent a couple of emails towards New Year then I check my inbox today morning and find an email sent on 30th Dec asking me to confirm if I'll be available for a phone interview today! And I was meant to respond within 24 hours. Anyway, we'll see what happens.]

As it is, I'm pretty excited. So much so I won't be doing much work today. For me, appreciation has always been a big deal, and I've struggled to find a sense of self worth all my life. Whether I finally get to go to Redmond or not is not the biggest deal. For me, the big deal is that somebody is telling me I have value. I am worth something. I can contribute something to this world. THAT is a big deal. When this somebody happens to be one other people regard highly, that's just icing on the cake.

I met a guy at the turn of the new year who was a year behind me in campus, and he spoke of how I was an inspiration to him/guys. THAT's the stuff that counts. That I can make a difference in someone's life. What's the point of having a big job or title and loads of money in the bank if you don't make a difference in other people's lives. Pointless.

So. I wait.

2 Comments:

Blogger Athena said...

hey! as the guys from down under would say "good on ya!"
I have sent out a few applications and i had started to give up a bit because of the lack of response...
your experience has given me impetus to leave... thanks

Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:22:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

All the best at the Interview!! I hope you get it so I can have another good reason to visit the US (that's where the job will be right?)

Wednesday, January 04, 2006 4:55:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home