Thursday, December 03, 2009

A new way

Its now 1.52pm and I am sitted at my desk. The question I need you to ask yourself is why is a jamaa not out at lunch? Could it be the rain? Is it because I am on a diet (not a bad idea seem to have put on 1.5Kg in Naijja, do I have so much work that I cannot spare time for lunch?

The answer is that a jamaa found a new way of doing things. I have been having challenges going out for lunch for the last one year.One of the draw backs of working in the same place for the last seven years is that over time most of the people you are used to having lunch with leave and then you find yourself in a situation where at midday you start looking around to find someone you would like to go for lunch with. This is stressful because you either end up getting rejected by that guy or that chick who already has plans or end up going with guys who you really dont want to talk to or listen to. Even when you get company there is also the stress that comes from unpredictability. You get to a restuarant (kiosks in upper hill are few and far between)and either they do not have what you want to eat or they take too long to bring it or what they bring does not meet your expectations of quality or quantity. With this kind of situation I found myself getting very stressed around lunch time.

Just over a month ago, I decided I had had enough and started carrying lunch. I eat more or less the same thing every day.A sandwitch made of a bun from Tuskys, lettuce, cucumber, tomato and a the feeling of the day (cheese, ham, tuna). I also carry youghurt, nuts or salad on alternate days. I have received quite a number of interesting comments about my new way of doing things. Two of my work mates have commended my new galfriend for taking very good care of me, despite my protestations of not having a new galfriend. My desk mate confessed that they thought I would only last a week carrying lunch. My Dad has been sharing stories of how he used to carry lunch when when he started his first job. My Mum has been coming up with all sorts of suggestion about what else I can be carrying, an egg, banana etc

6 Comments:

Blogger Kamikaze said...

I am currently looking at the same thing. New place, expensive lunch. Already having time contraints. Sandwiches come to mind. Ask your mom for suggestions.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 2:32:00 PM  
Blogger eloquence of expression said...

Tapaware for Life. best Sandwitch is lastnights sukumawiki on two slices of brown bread.. washed down with office coffee/tea.

Thursday, December 03, 2009 5:25:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I so feel u on the lack of people u can bond with to go out for lunch with. i discovered a fab joint near our workplace where no one seems to frequent and the food is really good and affordable plus there's a big screen tv for lunch time news et al....so I go there ALONE. It's such bliss!

Thursday, December 03, 2009 9:14:00 PM  
Anonymous kellie said...

You're not alone, I work in Upper Hill too and tend to carry lunch.

There's a lady who delivers lunch, but I don't like her food, so will pack up last night's dinner + banana + Oh Lala yogurt and I'm sorted for the day :-)

Friday, December 04, 2009 11:33:00 AM  
Blogger Shee said...

I relate so well... Having same issues at Kile... I even started carrying packed lunch, its fruit salad, everyday. Loving this blog big time.

Tuesday, December 08, 2009 12:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ajamaa, since I know you and I work in upperhill and also have no one to go for lunch with, can we be hooking up?:-)

Friday, January 15, 2010 12:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home