Monday, August 31, 2009

To gift or not to gift

I was listening to the radio the other day. Some devastated lass was lamenting how she'd bought some thing for her jamaa, only for him to sell it. Hilarious.

As much I sympathised with her, I could see how the guy had the reaction he did. Being from Mars and all. Perhaps I wouldn't be brave enough to flog something given to me by a significant other. I do value my life. But I'm utterly clueless when it comes to the gifting etiquette. There's this one time when a chic declared that she was buying a new phone and could she give me the one she had then. My respone was the predicatable befuddled look. The "Are you embarassed by my 3310" look. That conversation didn't progress much further. I think she gave the phone to her small sis or cousin or something.

The thing that makes me queasy about this gift giving business is the implied quid pro quo. Like when someone says to you "I love you". What do you say in response. Are you supposed to wear the shirt that she bought you when you go out together? Do you buy her a blouse? Can you give her money to buy a blouse? This is why some of us would fail miserably at relationships. Utterly clueless.

1 Comments:

Blogger 0.5 said...

You say 'I love you' straight back and get to it; You don't miss a beat. If you get dumb-founded and go blank, things will go awry.
'Its the engines captain' as Jeff Murdock would say.

Chics have this nasty habit of throwing that spanner into the works when you are just about to munch them. Crazy! Two or three times doing this and it becomes like saying 'I had a sneezing fit this morning'

Friday, September 04, 2009 2:27:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home