Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Women in IT

I was at an awards dinner the other week. Check into the venue and have a seat. Place is disturbingly full of empty seats. Find our way to a table, my boss and I. [It's not the kind of event I'd attend voluntarily]. The other time I attended these awards, I was getting one myself. Again, no choice. They since scrapped the category I was nominated for.

A glass of juice is more expensive than a Tusker. And a Tusker is 250. Being a teetotaller is hard. The MC struck me as one who hadn't done this kind of thing too many times before. That or quite a number of people can do this job. Either way, I got the same kind of comfort as when I read some of the local journalism out there. I can get away with not proof reading my code. Other people do. Well, to be fair, they don't have compilers. Then there were the 'traditional' dancers. It's what you call a group of men and women in insufficient tops, with ample bossoms, without bras, jumping up and down, is it not. There was some beating of drums going on at the same time, I think.

Onto the awards. Well, the awards are a sham so I'll just mention what really captivated me. What made me swivel on my seat, crane my neck and clap out of sync. The number of women that walked past our table was pretty impressive. So were the women themselves actually. I couldn't help but wonder with each passing figure what her position was in some tech company or other. Does she configure routers or setup networks or something. It would certainly be fun to do that kind of thing with her. Day in day out. There's a small possibility some of them were along just for the dinner. OK. All of us were there for the buffet. That and the zilizopendwa they played through the interludes made the night worthwile. And the lovely women in IT.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home