Friday, August 04, 2006

friday reflections

I read very many blogs, though I never comment. Blogs are really hilarious. However, most blogs are dying. And this one is taking it slow. It seems the pent-up frustration that made people blog furiosly has been spent and people have run out of steam. The novelty has worn off. And it is sad. I could never surf for more than two hours without getting immensely bored. A cursory look at espn, yahoo, fortune.com and imdb and thats it. P2P is a no-no and that leaves music downloads out of the question. That all changed when blogs became popular. I could read peoples wacky ideas for days on end.

A girl I know recently sent me a text that accused me of being distant and hiding behind my job. She continued that may be she were better off with another man who would pay more attention to her. I was darkly amused and replied that she was free to do whatever she wanted. I cannot remember at what point exactly that we became an item. Women sometimes make decisions for you without the courtesy of informing you and expect that you will play by the new rules. My being a boyfriend of anybody had never been on the table. On the same breath, the qualities that endear you to a person will be the same ones that make him or her loathe you,...in due course.

You will be surprised how much stuff changes when you grow up. There was nothing that I loved more than a loaf and a soda. In high school, eating a whole loaf was not uncommon. I can't stand bread now. Visiting aunties and uncles were always a welcome distraction. You could play with your cousins and not get to do prep. This has remained so for only just but a few of my relatives. When I was home one of my uncles visited and he was an unwelcome intrusion. The air of camaraderie was shattered as he introduced his church routines. I could no longer make wisecracks at my mum (who is doing her degree now. These usually included bringing a basin of cold water and going: you are dozing mum, feet in water! just like she used to do to us in primo).

I am nowadays invited to harambees.So and so has given birth. When did she get pregnant?
Up until 2004 that had never happened! During these meets people take their time to elaborately chastise you. There is no shortage of topics. Another of my uncles asks how I can waste so much money drinking Tuskers in these hard times. How he got wind of this information escapes me. Snooping I guess. That is a question I answer with a cold, hard stare. What I do with my money is my business. I have always been an object of intense scrutiny in my extended family. Everyone suspects that I have got a mad streak somewhere, only they are not sure where it is or even whether its there.

Cafeteria. Free lunch by the office (someone is happy something has been delivered in half the expected time). Boys on one side, girls on the other. A girl, doing fairly well, quips:
Men are cowards. [many reasons given].
I do not get angry at this statement. I understand. I have become wiser. I am generous and therefore will share my take on this.
This is the 21st century. Women have changed, so have the men. There is a new order. Women are gaining respect and recognition for what they do. They have also learnt how to go out and make money for themselves. Many have even made a lot of money. They drive big cars and live in nice houses. One thing which has not changed is that male ego has not gone away. There cannot be two centres of strength in one domain. Simplicity itself. Any other argument does not hold any water. Where women stamp their mark, the men either submit or migrate to another place.
A behaviour that surprises women.
If you are a well-to-do woman, most men will regard with a cool dispassion, your drop-dead
beauty notwithstanding. The options are bleak for these women. They are either i) stay out of a relationship ii) make do with a lesser man who will bend to their whims iii) or bend to the whims of another man.
People who say they don't need the other sex are either abnormal or they are kidding themselves. Don't play against the house. You cant win.
On the second point, women have been known to prefer full-blooded men (and thus guys who are controlled by women are said to be losers). You can't get a man and control him at the same time.

There is no middle ground, not really. There are only positions of advantage. There are these dudes who seem cool, romantic and entirely reasonable. They seem to understand, and more importantly accept that the girl in their lives has her own life, can get into any hanky panky (without the guy raising a fuss) cause eeh what do you think? she earns her own money, drives and lives in her house! They are equal partners! The explanation is painfully simple. Sex. Career women make great sex partners. Ask any man who is capable of playing the part. The answer lies in a very simple equation.
Fuss=No Sex.
Why take the risk? Play by the rules and get some! In any case some of these women are stunning. Who hates taking a beautiful woman to bed? When the relationship looks like its getting into deep, still waters, the guy bolts for the hills and simpler women.

There are some songs that are so beautiful they should not be resampled (in my humble opinion). I immediately lose my respect of the artiste who does the re-sampling. Crystal Waters "Gypsy Woman" is one such song (resampled by TI).Mas que nada by Sergio Mendes is another. Hiphop has become too adolescent and plastic.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blog, keep at it.
A.

Friday, August 04, 2006 7:10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home