Monday, July 31, 2006

Gonna get the IT guys

Today evening I wont go home after I leave the office. No, I will hide in the stairs and wait for one of the IT guys to come along and then shove him down the stairs. When he gets to the landing I will jump after him and hit him with my laptop bag. Atakipata. Here is how I have been driven to murder:

The IT guys have blocked yahoo. Not just messenger but even yahoo mail. According the error message displayed when I try to access the page, Yahoo transmits viruses.

They install XP on my pc and then go ahead to set some weird security settings in IE that prevent me from loading even internal sites. To make it worse they have configured the system to prevent me from changing the security settings. Every time I go to a page with Active X or Java Applets I have to keep clicking on warning messages. And not only is the setting in IE but they have also set up a personal firewall with similar settings so even using Firefox doesnt help.

The have set up my machine to lock (start the screen saver) after five minutes off inactivity and locked the settings to prevent me from changing them. To add insult on to injury they have a draconian password policy that forces me to have a password at least 8 characters long and must contain special characters. They also force me to change passwords every 2 months. I have run out of passwords so I will become one of those dumb guys who call help desk on Monday saying that they have forgotten their passwords.


They have a proxy server that refuses to refresh pages. So for example, I will look at the blog today and see that 0.5 has a new post, I come back tommorrow to comment on his post but for some strange reason the new post is not there, the proxy server insists on displaying content that is 3 days old. I refresh it brings the same old stuff. Its really irritating when this happens and the fact that this 'roll back' behavior is not predictable makes it even worse.

The net is really slow, its even slower than the cyber cafe cafe near my digs which doubles up as a chips shop come photocopy and telephone bureau. I am sure one of the IT guys is stepping on a cable and slowing down the connection.

I have had it and so I will get them one by one. Today in the stairs, tommorrow in the basement parking. Ili iwe funzo kwa wengine kama hao

6 Comments:

Blogger Malaika said...

sounds like a real pain in the ass

Monday, July 31, 2006 8:02:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

You need to ask their job title before pouncing on them. It's those people with the 'admin' somewhere in their title's that do such unspeakable things.

Machines here also lock themselves every x minutes [I've been tempted to wait around and time the actual duration]. Passwords have a similarly short life span. I'm now on 'password3'.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 7:33:00 AM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

Your predicament is probably the direct result of some sharp guy who read somewhere that work forces waste a lot of time on the internet.

On the other hand, you really do need internet as a medium and sort of vast, unlimited library.

In his estimation, he probably decides that the best way forward is to frustrate people surfing the net.

There is this new buzzword....in my place we call "Corporate Information Security" ....The buzzword earns people who otherwise have nothing else to do very big bucks.

For some IT people, frustrating other people is what gets their rocks off (I know, I am an IT person), especially sysadmins. They act like those government dudes who issue title deeds,..or KRA guys.

As for viruses,...there is too much heat and little light over the issue. That stuff you hear of millions of networks taken down only happens in movies. While a virus in your box can be a very pesky thing, the money and effort taken for that preventive measure is insane. Figure hunting mosquitoes with a cannon.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 9:00:00 AM  
Blogger bankelele said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 10:01:00 AM  
Blogger bankelele said...

very sorry, but no need for violence. I think the larger the organization one works in, the more rigid the IT department & policies.

Sooner or later one of the top managers will complain about (the lack of) yahoo mail and then maybe IT may relax some security settings.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 10:04:00 AM  
Blogger domquem said...

this is not as bad; I Once worked for an American dude who once worked for the NASA GUESS what... as the Head of technical security - i tell you this guy is damn good - he could even tell whether the PC you are using is logged on to windows ama linux when he is in a cyber in coast during his vacation - he was just to paranoid + he could also tell who printed what at what tym...(he had some secret tracking software which i unsuccesfully tried to hack but wapi !lol

Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:22:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home