Friday, February 10, 2006

Juiceless.

Words, sometimes just refuse to form.
Recent events in my life, as well as in other people's lives have not been worth commenting about. But I will just be good and crack up one.

Recently, we were called to a meeting and told of something about a job re-evaluation or promotion. Choose as you like. Generally this means that some more money is added to your bottomline. With great speed new copies of a document we call "job description" were handed to us. This new document, quite naturally increased the scope of our responsibilities, added a new range of systems to be developed; A new list of Projects 2006 was drawn up. My salary, however, has refused to move. The second part of the documentation, the one that tells you that your salary has inched up a couple of hundreds, seems to have gotten stuck at the printer. Or perhaps the computer, being the intelligent thing that it is, has refused to process this part of the equation at all. A very rosy picture in summary, I must add.

Someone has decided that the intranet looks "very dull". Consequently, it must be made to look "spontaneous, inviting and exciting" [someone wants to marry the intranet?]. Further consequently, it has been decided that "I am the most talented person" in the entire __ as far as graphic design is concerned. This is a line of thought that I find particularly disturbing. As well as untrue. Being "graphically talented", as I am repeatedly made aware, I should re-vitalize the intranet. And while I am at it, other things which are more important, and are of definitely more value, should proceed as planned.
0.5 has a 28 hour day. Or two brains, and three hands (as Samborera would put it). Look at me closely next time guys.
Manhours will be wasted playing with Fireworks and Flash. Colossal waste of time.

Someone asked me, to "investigate" why Crystal Reports blurs BLOBs (images).
And then do what? Write a patch which I will send to Seagate Software who will then mend their crappy software? And this coming from a fellow developer! Senior Developer infact. Some people have this insatiable quest to get physically harmed.

Oh yeah. Some old curmudgeon has decided that wearing headphones in the office is uncomely behaviour. I am thinking that there must be some business rationale behind it, otherwise there is no sensible explanation. Something like: 0.5, your wearing of headphones while writing code is leading to loss of revenue to the tune of like a million a day. To ensure we don't collapse, you must stop forthwith. Those of you who are wont to agree with this line of thinking, I will quickly remind you what I do:
Machines (computers) help people. I help machines. We have languages we use to communicate: they include vb, asp, C++ and sql. These languages have no eyes, ears or mouth. The machines love me in return; they play me sweet rock music. See? Symphony. Until some rank outsider who only knows how to work MS Outlook steps into the picture.

@6.00 PM, Nairobi time. Usual pub. Usual drink. Usual company.

9 Comments:

Blogger KenyanMusings said...

Yaay! I am first! Tell me about it...the one where your job description keeps changing, yuou get more work, a bigger title and salary? ehhhh...does not move. Story of my life! Ati no headphones? Are they mad?!! Well, I wear earphones ALL the time. I cannot possibly work bial music...He ebu protest my sweet, PROTEST!

Friday, February 10, 2006 1:09:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I guess I've come in a close second. Yaay?

Working without music is a form of torture. We had a policy introduced on use of computer equipment where you couldn't download or install anything without letting BIG brother know. I figured music would be next and brought my walkman to work the next day. Write code without any music at all, I shudder at the thought. Although when I went for the last interview at Celtel, I didn't see anyone bobbing their heads to some tune and everyone looked rather sombre.

That meeting reminds me of one we had where we were told that the company holds annual salary REVIEWS. Not pay rises. More work, same pay. Our story.

Kwanza, how will you be there by 6pm. You'd have to leave work exactly on time!

Friday, February 10, 2006 1:25:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

Well the good thing about your job is that you met good friends and at the end of the day you can spend some of this (very) hard earned money at a pub with them chilling. Days like today i could kill for that priviledge..

Friday, February 10, 2006 2:23:00 PM  
Blogger Kamikaze said...

Yaay?
Anyways, maybe you can pass by Kamikaze's usual. Or maybe I can pass by your usual? I'll think about it at my usual.
Punch someone in the face! No music?

Friday, February 10, 2006 3:03:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Is this the return of Kamikaze? I'll pass by your usual, then to 0.5's usual, then to my usual. Well I'm not appropriately dressed for my usual so home will have to do after that. Can't wait. Know what I'm listening to right now? Step in the name of love!

Friday, February 10, 2006 3:40:00 PM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

KenyanGal, what happened to the potrait of the little girl?
Nothing can beat that image. Captures a light happy spirit.

Friday, February 10, 2006 4:35:00 PM  
Blogger gishungwa said...

{{{{{hugs}}}} pole is there anything worse thatn when htey think oyuare the best insuniating that more work should be piled upon you. I also have the priviledge sic* of the 28hr days. hold on me dear. great post

Friday, February 10, 2006 5:16:00 PM  
Blogger Bee said...

0.5 actually I really miss the picture too coz she would make me smile each time I saw her. The thing is though she isnt me, so all the time people would comment on how cute *I* am but really that's a picture I took of the web :[ Yah... so thats why she had to go.. Anyway, Have a fun weekend

Saturday, February 11, 2006 2:00:00 AM  
Blogger Girl in the Meadow said...

LMAO

Monday, February 13, 2006 2:24:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home