Thursday, February 09, 2006

What is an intern?

We probably know the most famous intern ever. We had someone join our nice firm yesterday. The way you usually know that there's someone new is by an email indicating as much. [I should really stop hiding behind my computer screen] As I read the mail, I get somewhat confused. Apparently they are joining as an intern, but have finished campus [and are just awaiting graduation]. First, my understanding of 'intern' at this place is a guy who comes to do some work during his campus breaks or something. Besides, some of us graduated almost a year after finishing course work.

I was concerned. So I took her out to lunch. Anyway, apparently we'll be getting a few more of these 'interns'. Ati they'll jobo for a year and then be considered to officially join the lowest job grade that we have. Of course all this time, they'll be earning an interns salary. This is pure exploitation. She's happy to have a job and all that, but she'll be expected to work like a kawaida person, for a non-kawaida person's pay. This seems to be another tactic to keep costs down. The other popular one in force currently is to promise you heaven, soon.

Maybe my ideas on work are warped, but this is just not right. I guess we all need to look out for ourselves, because employers certainly don't.

2 Comments:

Blogger Athena said...

Why do they NEED to do that?
Why?
What costs are these? It doesnt make sense.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I guess its always a good thing to cut costs, mainly for promotion of the bottom line. I don't think it's about need. Nobody would mind having higher profits [by removing costs any which way they can].

Thursday, February 09, 2006 4:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home