Thursday, January 19, 2006

Making. Life better?

I got a call yesterday from someone at Celtel. I'm going for an interview there next week Wednesday. That's sort of buoyed my mood and reinforced my assurance of getting another job, whatever kind. It came as a surprise though considering that I'd just sent an email to a generic HR address, not even applying for a specific position. Come to think of it, I don't know what position I'll be interviewing for. The fact that Celtel retrenched a whole load of guys at the end of last year makes this opportunity even more surprising.

I just happened to ask the chic on the other end of the line whether I needed to dress formally for the interview, to which she replied in a condescending tone, "it's an interview; you know what to do". I hope I don't have to work for her. If MSFT don't require interviewees to dress formally, who are you to. As it is, I was planning on going in a t-shirt and jeans - the same way I dress to church when I do go, but now I'll have to adorn myself with a tie, just so that she don't think I'm a big headed moron who's full of myself.

I'd intended to take the week off next week, ostensibly to read and prepare for the interview. After talking to someone, I realised I'll be better off coming to the office as I need to find out about things like Oracle financials [whatever that is], and read up a bit on gsm.

3 Comments:

Blogger Athena said...

This will only be the first... Congrats, hope it goes well.
Let us know what Oracle financials is :)

Friday, January 20, 2006 3:21:00 PM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

Oracle Financials is a suite of systems that run on the Oracle database.

They employ globally (or should I say American?) known business processes in things like Purchasing, Ordering, Manufacturing, Human Resources and Capital Management.

Technically: Workflows (like your ordinary DFD), heavy use of Java, Web based, TomCat / Apache web server).Has over 10,000 tables and hundreds of schemas. Needs huge machines with a lot of brute power. Windows is non-existent. Common OS's are HP-UX, AIX and other UNIX cousins.

Difficult product. Expensive too.At my work place, it keeps 7 grown men running around like headless chicken.

My dear friend Samborera, if this is the monster you will be developing on, you will see a whole new level in end-user stupidity. That is of course, in addition to mastering the damn thing.

Go for it. May God bless you amply in this pursuit.

Friday, January 20, 2006 3:45:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I hope I won't need all that info to get in. I've been looking for Oracle and SQL tutorials the whole day. Mash was also kind enough to give me some leakage. The interview is next week Wednesday. We'll see what happens.

Friday, January 20, 2006 5:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home