Tuesday, December 06, 2005

The beacon [and lack of it]

When we were in campus, there was a guy with some very interesting trait. Somehow, he just seemed to attract women. Good looking and interesting women. Some of us came to the conclusion that he had a Beacon [A signaling or guiding device]. That was and still is the only logical explanation for this phenomenon.

After aJamaa's exploits at psys some time back, I decided to conduct an experiment, and see if the same would happen to me. If I would get picked up.

I passed by psys in the later hours. Surveyed the area. No one I knew. Typical Friday - not too packed. After a while standing by the counter and not getting any offers to leave with anyone, I moved to a more conspicuous spot. Nothing still. I figured that dancing would do the trick but that wasn't working either. I then came to the conclusion that I don't have a beacon - and those of us who don't have to work much harder at attracting women's attention, especially given their totally unrealistic view of the world.

5 Comments:

Blogger 0.5 said...

You cannot invite luck. I don't think a man would love to be hit on by just any woman; It has to click for you to have fun, and that is where luck comes in.
When you least expect, they strike.
And usually you can't help it.
Scenario 1: Beautiful babe at the bar, buy drink 1, 2 suddenly, you only have 200/=.
Scenario 2: That stretch of road from town to the house becomes amazingly short.
The list is endless.
I will hang around aJamaa. Luck follows him. (Me its drama)

Monday, December 05, 2005 3:39:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

I must say that I don't exactly want to have women all over me. I'm not rich enough! The amount of cash you spend on credit alone is utterly insane. Bring drinks, cabs, lunches, etc into the picture and you are truly sunk.

I am slowly accepting who I am; what I am. I don't mind being hit on, by whoever. There's a sense of excitement about it. I find it quite refreshing actually. I have accepted the fact that it won't be happening too often and I'm moving on.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 12:58:00 PM  
Blogger Athena said...

Your right, I think being picked up (for a change) would be exciting.
I have never been the kind of person to go "pick up" a guy, however i feel if i see someone whom I like I just think I just might do it... point here , dont give up after one try, next time you just might get picked up and who knows...

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 12:32:00 PM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

Athena, you can "pick up" a guy. It is not dramatic at all, in fact it is a commonplace occurence. It's just that guys give it the usual slant and make it look exotic and bold.
In reality, striking a self-sustaining conversation with some guy, anywhere, mathree, bank queue, when it's the girl who starts, qualifies as a "pick up".

Of course there are other kinds of pick ups .....

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:31:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Another thing, approaching someone is not one of the easiest things to do. This is where alcohol really helps. The fear of rejection, or the feeling of rejection also serves as a strong deterent.

I've become a bit philosophical about it all, and that's what helps me cope. If someone isn't responsive, positively that is, you move on to the person directly next to them.

Also, I would find being picked up a bit scary, albeit exciting.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 7:03:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home