Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Going web

The development team at work had an interesting meeting today, where we were informed that our future projects will be web based. Now, anyone who knows me knows how much I abhor web programming. I have never created a web site in my life, and the number of web pages I've actually created can be counted on one hand. I have tried to learn (X)HTML, css, javascript, asp but for some reason, my interest hasn't lasted beyond the initial excitement. The fact that I'm not very good with colours and layout has also made me steer way clear of any kind of web design work.

It seems that's the way everyone is going. I don't know if I'll survive. One of the best ways to overcome your fears is to confront them so perhaps the one week in house training we'll get will do just that for me.

I am afraid.

8 Comments:

Blogger 0.5 said...

I thought you guys were going .NET and had designers?
If you are going web, you will not notice any difference (in code at least) ....OK there is a difference with the events model and you can easily bash in someone's face for being silly.
As for the design and colors, let the designers do it. That is why they were hired.
As for me, I have never been that lucky. I do both.
Just hope and pray you are not doing classic ASP. Very fast, compared to ASPX, until you try to do some heavy -data driven corporate project; You cry till you bleed.

Monday, December 05, 2005 3:49:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Our parent company was bought, and there ended our .NET dreams. That was made official to us in this past meeting.

I made a point of asking if we'll be doing classic asp [and I was assured we won't] as that would be just so retrogressive.

At least we have a design department, and I've never had to design a single form since I joined. I don't know how it will work out though.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 12:55:00 PM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

So, you are saying your .NET dreams ended....and you are not going the classic asp way.
If you will be doing web stuff, there are other ways that are probably worse than asp....like

java server pages
perl
php
coldfusion

Classic asp any day, than these four.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 5:33:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

We are a staunch MSFT shop so none of these are possible. I don't have a preference any way. I hate all of them the same.

Tuesday, December 06, 2005 6:28:00 PM  
Blogger Athena said...

hi 0.5, PHP rocks!

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 12:35:00 PM  
Blogger 0.5 said...

I merely scratched the surface on php. Perhaps it is a good language. It is close to C, and I know doing database stuff in C is just too painful.
Web programmming is boring. That is why asp is "good" because there is not too much of a shift in ideas. VB and asp? Pretty much the same.
In conditions in which we work, there is no room for programming flair. You do what is required to be done. I call it BF (Brute Force) or OPC (Other People's Code).

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 1:42:00 PM  
Blogger Athena said...

touche

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Samborera said...

Last time I checked, php was the most popular server side scripting language. That was a long time ago, but any C-like language can't be too bad.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005 7:06:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home