Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Quelle dommage [It's a pity]

I witnessed an incident [more like a situation] on Sunday night that just broke my heart. I was lying in my bed on Sunday evening listening to reggae [as is the norm these days].

Let me get to the crux of my post. We end up at Choices, while away the time kidogo, blah, blah, blah. So. At some point I notice a chic leaning on a counter, apparently all alone. My mind starts doing the frog thing. You know. Revving like a Formula 1 machine. [I can't type the sound effect]. I think to myself. "There's no way she's alone", but she doesn't seem to be waiting for anyone, or doing anything else to suggest she has company.

Just as I'd gathered enough guts to go up to her [like 5 mins worth], she starts walking away! I couldn't believe my luck. The horses had already bolted though and there was no turning back. I follow her, like a panther stalking an unsuspecting potential meal. She meets up with a galfriend of hers and they start chatting. I can see she's not enjoying herself too much, but I have learnt not to approach a chic when she's with her buddy. Her attitude towards you will be greatly influenced by how she thinks her pals will react. It's not worth it.

I bide my time and watch some game of pool going on. After some time, they start walking towards where I am. They're still together! I hold my ground. Just as they fikia me, some guy starts vibing the buddy to the chic I've been stalking. Now I can see she's not too impressed with the evening's goings on. Ok. Her buddy has a big ass and what not, but she's tallish, black and an ass of her own. The time's still not right.

The jamaa finishes his marriage proposal so they move on. I follow. They stop. So do I. At this point I'm actually starting to feel like a stalker. It's a good thing I look and behave drunk, so not too many people seem to notice my awkward movements around the club. They make a U-turn and head back to where they were. At this point, it's like we are attached via some invisible string, so I also do a U-turn, now utterly confused and getting disillusioned.

Finally she makes her way back, alone this time. I figure it's about time, but soon go into panic mode. She seems to be leaving! She's not going to leave without me getting a word in. "Excuse me", I go. Blah, blah, blah. I saw you at the counter earlier. Blah, blah. "Are you leaving already?". Yeah she is. I'm crushed. If I had a sword I would fall on it, like a noble warrior accepting defeat.

As luck would have it, we are also leaving. I look around [we are at the basement] but she's already gone. As I'm walking up the ramp, she walks past me in quite a haste. I have to decide what to do, and fast. She's walking like the ground is on fire. "Excuse me!", I shout. Then again. Nothing. I'm not ready to give up yet so I up my pace. At this point, I'm almost running after her. She leaves the club and I stand back a bit, waiting to see if she's going to her car or catching a cab.

She starts walking towards K2, much slower this time, like one who's lost. A second chance! I fuata her. By this time she's stopped by the roadside looking all confused and stuff. I ask if I can get her number and she replies in the affirmative. It's more like an after thought. Like a conditioned response. I'm not too enthused myself. She asks me where she can get a cab and I point her in the direction she'd come from.

We meet cab driver number 1. 5 soc to her place. Hapana. She only has 4 soc on her. On to cab number 2. Same story. Then she starts sobbing. I'm a bit taken aback, but I put on a brave face and try to tell her everything is ok. Now, she's basically crying. She has to chuck her specs to wipe off the tears. I try to tell her I'll ongeza cash so that she can get home but I don't seem to be getting through. I offer to pay the full fare for her, but she's not too keen on anything I'm saying.

Finally, some guy she knows [who has a car] drives by [he was also in the club and is now leaving] and she practically begs the guy to give her a ride. From the way she's talking, I figure they live in the same neighbourhood. The guy makes as if he's not interested but finally agrees to let her in. She jumps in. "Thanks", she says.

I'm dismayed. I want to stand around in the hope that she'll jump out of the car, give me a big hug [and her number] before leaving, but some strange sense of pride engulfs me.

I don't know the details of the circumstances that this chic was in, but am appalled at how she ended up. I blame myself for not approaching her earlier, and making her evening a little less traumatic. I don't know if I'll meet her again, or if she'd remember me. Her having to beg for a ride home was particularly hard to take. I'm not a good guy, but there are some things that you just don't do.

I hope to meet her again. I may not have the noblest of motives, but thank God I have a heart.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home